Dogs on 14ers

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
aHudge
14ers: 41  7 
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Dogs on 14ers

Post by aHudge »

sleepy wrote:Hey, this is my first time on the site. I've read the above discussion about dogs and here's my question. Mt. Bierstadt seems like a relatively accessible 14er, and for us driving to Boulder, even more so. We are mid 40's, pretty athletic and have a blue heeler mix. We are coming from Texas and plan to spend a day or so acclimating to altitude before we tackle MB. Does anyone see any problems? We've (me, wife and dog) have hike up to 11,000 in New Mexico. Thanks for the great resource!

I think you'd be fine. Start early (sunrise - or shortly there after) to allow yourselves time in case you start to move slow (and to avoid afternoon thunderstorms).

Have Fun!
Missy_Goat
14ers: 18 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Missy_Goat »

Have fun on MB!! I have some friends who climbed it last summer, they said it was a pleasent and beautiful hike. Post some pics of your dog up there too!!
It is not the mountains we conquer, but ourselves - Edmund Hillary
sleepy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sleepy »

Missy_Goat wrote:Have fun on MB!! I have some friends who climbed it last summer, they said it was a pleasent and beautiful hike. Post some pics of your dog up there too!!
Will do. He's gonna love it, I'm sure. We are going visit friends in Boulder then head over to Utah and canyon country the following week. This is our first trip to Colorado.
mrkite1977
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mrkite1977 »

Blue Heeler eh? I'm not sure I can think of a better climbing dog... I would gather that he/she can't carry much weight on his/her back, but never-the-less, a great climber!

By the way, the Ruff Wear Grip Trex dog boots were an absolute success. Better than expected! I did happen to notice where his dewclaws are that they rubbed the skin a little raw where the boot straps velco around the feet... any suggestions for this minor setback?
Missy_Goat
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Missy_Goat »

I might try wrapping that part of the foot with medical type tape (the flexible cotton kind that would peel off of hair without pulling it too bad) this would allow the velcrow to rub on the tape instead of the dogs paw, much in the way we use moleskin. I use the ruff-ware boots too, they are much better than the other brands that I have tried. I wrap the back feet to make the boots fit a little better on the back, their paws are smaller back there :D

Goodluck with it!
It is not the mountains we conquer, but ourselves - Edmund Hillary
sammydog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sammydog »

I have a city dog who gets to spend 49 weeks a year in chicago and 3 weeks in CO. You'd think the constant concrete would toughen up the pads, but it's nothing compared to mountain terrain...the first couple of trips resulted in torn pads and worn nails. We've tried a couple different kinds of boots, but would have problems with keeping them on or chafing. Last August, we did Redcloud/Sunshine with hunting boots from Cabela's (http://www.cabelas.com/hprod-1/0005402.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) - the deluxe hunting boots -
and they did great. No chafing and never lost a boot. Different size boots for front and rear paws, which was great, and I just marked a "L" and "R" on each since they formed to his individual paws nicely after day one. Only problem is that they were pretty worn after 10 solid days on rock, and they're bright orange so he would draw random jokes from others.

Hope this helps.

Also, Redcloud/Sunshine seemed very easy for dogs. Sammy was eight when he did them, and the only other dog that made the peak that day was a nine year old.
Attachments
P9050126.JPG
P9050126.JPG (21.56 KiB) Viewed 4193 times
P9050143.JPG
P9050143.JPG (77.52 KiB) Viewed 4543 times
Last edited by sammydog on Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vermont Refugee
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Vermont Refugee »

I think the question here involves how the dog (or the person) adapts to the hike - If you can do it and like it, it's good for you. A few years ago there was a Bernese Mtn Dog that lived in one of the houses along the Blue Mtn Lake road below Quandry. He used to walk up the mountain by himself to visit with and mooch snacks from the hiking population on the summit. I saw him up there at least three times. Going back to the original thread, the beagle that went up Yale on Sunday beat his masters (and me) up the hill quite easily and seemed to be pretty proud of it.
flashover00
14ers: 39  1 
13ers: 7 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by flashover00 »

To answer the original question from this thread.....Beagles can climb some 14ers.....lol :lol:
Low center of gravity + tons of energy + great agility

Although IMO it depends on the individual Beagle that you're taking with you. We leave our 7 yr old male at home because he's slightly overweight and gets tired walking to the park and back (plus if you take him off the leash he's gone....literally). We bring our 3 yr old female with us and she is great.
The proof is in the pictures...

"Angel" on the trail up to the Democrat-Cameron Saddle

Hot on the trail of a Pika that snuck into the rocks

On the summit of Cameron

She posed for this when she wasn't too busy mooching food off the other hikers on the summit

Both our beagles passed out after Horsetooth Rock a few months ago
GIS_Dave
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GIS_Dave »

my dog had torn/worn pads on her first few hikes. the last two she hasnt. her "training" hikes were anywhere from IPW, to the flatirons, to the collegiates. sometimes i noticed a small limp later the night after a hike, but shed be back to normal the next day. i think the whole whole injured pad thing is like how we get blisters and then a callus. like you finger tips when you learn to play the guitar, or inner knuckles when lifting weights. over time, the pads will toughen i'm sure. but im no vet.
the great oudoors is ours to enjoy, not destroy.
COmthigh
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by COmthigh »

GIS_Dave,
You might try the pad hardener sprays. It's working for my pup. However, I've turned a believer in needing boots in spots after descending Bross to Kite. Many dogs went down with ease (better than me for sure) but it doesn't look like a good place for them.
Milehighmadman74
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Milehighmadman74 »

I don't post here hardly at all but I just wanted to chime in on the whole dogs and doing ALL Colorados 14er's. For the first point dogs AREN'T ALLOWED on more than one 14er in Colorado for reasons kgmo (the vet who probably knows what she's talking about) and I'm sure others have pointed out some where along the way. Second I have worked at a shelter for more than a few years and been around dogs my whole life and hiked with more than a few breeds and IMHO small dogs who come from mountainous regions like my Sheltie (for example) do fabulous on some hikes and struggle on others due to depth perception (especially on steep boulders that require jumping). I would never try and take my dog on Longs Peak for instance (nor would they let you because dogs aren't allowed on the trail). I think it's up to pet OWNERS to be responsible and know the dogs limitations and not put their dogs, themselves, and others, in harms way just because it has been done in the past. The last thing you want is to have to carry your dog down for help or WORSE.
Last edited by Milehighmadman74 on Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Milehighmadman74
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Milehighmadman74 »

Excuse the error, and thanks for sharing my mistake so tactfully =D> (see what happens when you skim [-X )