14ers.com Android App released!

Information on 14ers.com Mobile apps.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

14ers.com Android App released!

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

The official 14ers.com Android app is now in the Android Marketplace!
Yes, it's FREE!
Search for "14ers.com" in the marketplace or, using the QR Code app, scan the barcode below to go directly to the app in the marketplace.

Highlights:
  • Interacts real-time with 14ers.com data so there's no need to push content updates through the Android marketplace when changes are made to 14ers.com.
  • Conveniently stores information and images for offline use or in the backcountry when you don't have an Internet connection.
  • Includes:
    • 14er Peak lists
    • 14er Overview Map
    • Peak Stats
    • Trailheads and Driving Directions
    • Road Difficulty Ratings
    • Route Descriptions
    • Route Maps
    • Route Google Maps with route overlays
    • Route Photos (yes, all of them!)
    • Multi-Route Overview Maps
    • User-contributed Peak Condition Updates
    • User-contributed Trailhead Condition/Road Updates
    All available real-time from the site and will stay on your device for use when you're off-the-grid. Yup, if someone adds a Peak or Trailhead conditions update to the site, you can get it as soon as it's on 14ers.com.
The application was developed by Nathan Hale, a Colorado resident and frequent user of 14ers.com since 2004. I worked with Nathan to develop a real-time, XML-based, 14ers.com "data feed" which can be used by future developers on other platforms, like Apple iOS. Thank you, Nathan!

So, the next time you're hanging out in the tent wishing you had Internet service, you could be viewing 14ers.com peak condition reports and route descriptions, including topo maps and all those route photos! That is if you have an Android-based phone. I hope to have an Apple, iOS app available in the future...

Bill M.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
prestone818
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 14ers.com Android App released!

Post by prestone818 »

First!

Good stuff. Any chance forum will be added?
I fall a lot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by I fall a lot »

Perfect! Thanks to Nathan and you for all the hard work, it's greatly appreciated!
Kojones
14ers: 25 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Kojones »

Great app. Downloaded in a hotel room with poor signal and it was having trouble getting all the route info, etc. But today I tried and worked perfectly. Thanks!

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."
Yalegirl09
14ers: 43 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Yalegirl09 »

Downloaded it first thing this morning! Awesome app!!! Thanks Nathan!
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

Got it this morning! Super cool interface and tons of functionality. This thing is going to see some good use this summer.

Thanks for making this happen Bill!
Where ever you are... There you are.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

I'm glad you like it!

If you don't mind, you can help by giving it a good review/rating in the marketplace. :)
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Yalegirl09
14ers: 43 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Yalegirl09 »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:I'm glad you like it!

If you don't mind, you can help by giving it a good review/rating in the marketplace. :)
Done and done! :D My productivity level at work just went wayyyyy down! :lol:
CRAIGO
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (6)

Post by CRAIGO »

Fantastic app! I just couldn't bring myself to pay for the other 14er app out there. Nice job on this one! I gave it an excellent rating.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

CRAIGO wrote:Fantastic app! I just couldn't bring myself to pay for the other 14er app out there. Nice job on this one! I gave it an excellent rating.
They just reduced the price of Gerry's book app from $3.99 to $2.99.

Maybe they'll drop it to $0.00 at some point? That's easy for me to say because I'm not doing this for this same reasons. At a minimum, having the 14ers.com app out there will likely inspire updates to Gerry's app, which is good for those who use it.
summitbound
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (25)

Post by summitbound »

Awesome app Bill and Nathan.. I deleted my beta version and installed it this morning. I also gave it 5 star rating and posted a comment on the Market.

Thanks again to both of you for all your hard work in making this available to all of us.. and making it FREE... =D>
"The mountains are calling and I must go." John Muir
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:If you don't mind, you can help by giving it a good review/rating in the marketplace. :)
Done and done. 5 stars here!
Where ever you are... There you are.