D7000 vs D7100

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dhr18
Trip Reports (0)

D7000 vs D7100

Post by dhr18 »

I currently have a D7000 with the kit 18-105mm lens and a 18-200mm lens. I was thinking of upgrading to the d7100 a friend of mine os looking at purchasing my current camera with the 18-105 lens meaning it would be about $200 out of pocket. Is anyone familiar with the d7100. I like the fact that it has a locking mode dial and the increased autofocus point.I am also looking at upgrading and expanding my glass to better quality and was debating between a wide angle or a zoom lens to 300mm. I am still trying to find the type of photography I enjoy the most but it normally involves nature such as animal, landscape and looking at trying night timelapse. Occasionally I try sports photography for my rugby team as well which I think the increase in autofocus points would help with. Thanks for any info you can provide.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: D7000 vs D7100

Post by nyker »

The main differences between the two are MP count 24MP (7100) vs 16MP (7000), AF metering system (51 vs 39 points) and
viewfinder (3.2" vs 3"). More megapixels doesn't always mean the camera with higher MP count is better, but in this case, the two are similar enough that argument is probably more justified.

Both bodies are pretty similar in other regards: size/weight, both use DX cropped sensors, 6fps, memory card type/capacity,
available ISO Range, similar HD movie capabilities, etc. In lower light, the 7100 is probably a bit less noisy than the 7000.

If you only have to pay an additional 200, I'd make the trade, why not (that is actually their new price differential retail). However, if you were considering buying a brand new one to upgrade from the D7000 without the buyer lined up, I'd say the differences are probably not worth buying an entire new body for.

In terms of upgrading lenses, you're asking the right question of what you plan to use it for. For a midrange zoom, the Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 is a good fast lens - pricy new, but see if you can find one used with a warranty. Add in a 1.4x tele and that takes you to 280mm (without crop factor). You lose a stop, so that's more like a f/4 area 280mm, still plenty fast. Matched with a small prime or lower zoom, you'll cover 90% of shooting situations unless you are shooting birds or long range wildlife like wolves and bears.