Wide angle zoom for Cannon

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Glen
14ers: 38  1 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (3)

Wide angle zoom for Cannon

Post by Glen »

Is there anyone out there with a wide angle zoom lens for a cannon DSLR (60D) that would be willing to rent it to me? I am going to be attempting several peaks in Peru this May-June and was looking into a good one-lense for mountaineering. Thanks!
-Glen
"I remember when I used to be into nostalgia."
DanR
14ers: 33 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Wide angle zoom for Cannon

Post by DanR »

If you don't find someone, I've been pretty happy renting from Pro Photo Rental in Boulder in the past.
Kane
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kane »

Heres my honest response. Most that shoot a dslr will likely pass on renting a lens with decent glass to you for an extended mountaineering trip. Mountaineering is not "gentle" on a lens . My recommendation is too buy a used 16-85 off Craigslist. You can post a wtb (want to buy) 16-85 on Craigslist and you will get a few desparate sellers.
Glen
14ers: 38  1 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Glen »

Thanks for beta guys!
"I remember when I used to be into nostalgia."
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Check these guys downtown (NYC) - maybe they can arrange to ship it to you:

http://www.adoramarentals.com/Cat/Conte ... 53.html#!1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RxMike
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RxMike »

Another option....
http://www.lensrentals.com/?exit=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kapelmuur
14ers: 37 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Kapelmuur »

I rent stuff a few times a year to augment my own gear for various assignments. I almost guarantee you the cost to rent--assuming a couple weeks?--will be prohibitive.

My suggestion, if you have the $$$ to spare in the short-term, would be to try and swing a screaming deal on a used lens on eBay, use it for your trip and then resell it on eBay for probably as nearly as much as you bought it for in the first place. It's some leg work and a bit of a gamble but it just might end up costing you nothing in the end.
MuchosPixels
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MuchosPixels »

This would be my recommendation:

http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon/l ... 5.6-is-usm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With that lens you are ready for anything. Extremely versatile high quality lens on a 60D