Good shots of the final pitch on Eolus

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Good shots of the final pitch on Eolus

Post by djkest »

I'm afraid I was too uh, concerned with my safety and I forgot to take pictures of the climb post-catwalk on Eolus. Anyone have some good pictures they would like to share of the blocky, rocky, ledgy finale to Eolus?
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Re: Good shots of the final pitch on Eolus

Post by SurfNTurf »

I have a bunch. They all have me in them, but I think you'll find that adds to the photos.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1005599304 ... borDay2011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You're welcome.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
djkest
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

Thanks man! Nice pics. The ones looking down on you from above do well to illustrate the steepness/exposure of this section. I liked the one of you on top of Eolus curled up in the fetal position.

ETA: Nice planking on the catwalk!
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
Johnson
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

SurfNTurf wrote:I have a bunch. They all have me in them, but I think you'll find that adds to the photos.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1005599304 ... borDay2011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You're welcome.

What's up with photo 61?
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
semitrueskerm
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by semitrueskerm »

IMG_0481_STAR.JPG
IMG_0481_STAR.JPG (135.15 KiB) Viewed 2610 times
IMG_0481_STAR_edited-1.jpg
IMG_0481_STAR_edited-1.jpg (145.88 KiB) Viewed 2611 times
**DO NOT USE the red route here as gospel**

I put the route in from memory...and it is approximate.
dmccool
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dmccool »

SurfNTurf wrote:I have a bunch. They all have me in them, but I think you'll find that adds to the photos.

You're welcome.

Classic.
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov
semitrueskerm
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by semitrueskerm »

Ditto to Surf-n-Turf....You can sift through these and find some more Eolus pics...

https://picasaweb.google.com/1135039548 ... EolusGroup#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wish I lived in CO
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

djkest wrote:I'm afraid I was too uh, concerned with my safety and I forgot to take pictures of the climb post-catwalk on Eolus. Anyone have some good pictures they would like to share of the blocky, rocky, ledgy finale to Eolus?
Ditto. I took like 3 pictures, all at the summit. Fortunately, my partners GF took quite a few from the catwalk, but have none on the climb itself.

You're welcome.

These are great, thank you also ... except I don't think I'll be putting the planking photos in my scrapbook, but looks like you had fun with it :lol:
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Have you checked out the Eolus Route on the site, including the Stash photos?
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Wish I lived in CO
Trip Reports (11)

semitrueskerm wrote:Ditto to Surf-n-Turf....You can sift through these and find some more Eolus pics...

https://picasaweb.google.com/1135039548 ... EolusGroup#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also some great shots. Good lighting in your pics. For me it was socked in pretty good early and it started to clear, but not fully until I was off the summit. Thanks also.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
Wish I lived in CO
Trip Reports (11)

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Have you checked out the Eolus Route on the site, including the Stash photos?
I suppose those are OK too. :wink:

Now that I think of it, most of your site photos seem to have pretty good lighting and conditions. Did you make multilple trips on some of these peaks to get good conditions / pics?
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

From the Cat Walk
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert