Wildlife

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Re: Wildlife

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

S-Pett wrote:Jim, this is the image I mentioned in my email. I was photographing a family of foxes a few years ago and I saw a great shot of the mom so I turned my back on the kits and focused on the mom. A few minutes later I heard something behind me and when I turned to look, there were three kits rummaging through my backpack. One of them took off with my cup of coffee...little s**t! The kit took the cup to the den entrance, "attacked" it, and dragged it into the den. I love this picture because it shows how small fox kits are...not a whole lot taller than a large coffee cup. I tried to sell this to Bruegger's but never heard back.
Sean, that's a hilarious shot! (Contest winner for sure!) I'll bet the little guy was up all night after that slug o' java. :lol:

The kits out back are just as funny - they pretty much tear up anything around, and when eight or nine of them get going, honestly, I don't know how mom keeps a handle on all of them.

Speaking of Mom, I'm going to try to get some shots of her coming home with dinner. The perfect 20-foot face-to-face encounter - and her carrying dinner to the kits - I was so surprised I missed the shot. Some photographer, huh? : ( But she's giving me lots of opportunities. Perhaps she'll get used to me and the camera being around and maybe I'll get some good shots. Just tried the SLR for the first time today and the shutter noise did not seem to bother them too much - from about 30-40 yards - 250mm lens. (The photo above was the P&S, 360mm equivalent.)
Dancesatmoonrise
Trip Reports (68)

Some nice photos!

Skip, that cat shot is haunting.

Oman, love that first shot.

Keep 'em comin'!
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

Taken while doing the Tour D'Abyss, July 2010:

Taken from the Crags Route on Pikes Peak, June 2010 (I think this little fox might need sunglasses):
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
mtgirl
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

One more, taken on West Spanish Peak, November 2006. A monster sized bobcat watching me walk by. On the descent, I was following my tracks in the snow back out and noticed the cat's tracks in my own tracks (not a good feeling....). 5 minutes later, there he was, watching me.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/uphoto.ph ... m=uphotos2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
Dancesatmoonrise
Trip Reports (68)

mtgirl wrote:One more, taken on West Spanish Peak, November 2006. A monster sized bobcat watching me walk by. On the descent, I was following my tracks in the snow back out and noticed the cat's tracks in my own tracks (not a good feeling....). 5 minutes later, there he was, watching me.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/uphoto.ph ... m=uphotos2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kitty liked you! :lol:
Seriously, that's quite a treat to be able to see one of them in the wild. I've been up close and personal with mountain lions, twice now, but no bobs in the wild. [-o<

The goat babies - that's a real good shot. Congrats. =D>
Mountainspirit
14ers: 20 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Mountainspirit »

I'm sure most of us have our elk pics that we like - these are mine . . .
elk.jpg
elk.jpg (38.15 KiB) Viewed 6640 times
RMNP elk.jpg
RMNP elk.jpg (39.58 KiB) Viewed 6635 times
"I sang out from a mountain top, out to the valley down below
Because my cup doth overflow
With the beauty of the days gone by." - Van Morrison
S-Pett
14ers: 37 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by S-Pett »

A few more of my favorites...
Attachments
Ermine Mt.jpg
Ermine Mt.jpg (36.91 KiB) Viewed 6535 times
_MG_6035 sm.jpg
_MG_6035 sm.jpg (66.37 KiB) Viewed 6536 times
_MG_1851 sm.jpg
_MG_1851 sm.jpg (34.46 KiB) Viewed 6545 times
http://www.seanpettersen.com
"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment" - Ansel Adams
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Nice
What?! You're not trying to sell or promote your photos?!? My favorite kind. :D
I still really like the Bobcat shot.
mtgirl wrote:Taken while doing the Tour D'Abyss, July 2010:

Taken from the Crags Route on Pikes Peak, June 2010 (I think this little fox might need sunglasses):
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
mtgirl
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

No, Bill.....I don't have the talent or the camera equipment capable of taking quality photos. Sometimes, I'm just in the right place at the right time. If someone gets some small enjoyment out of them, that makes me happy ! :)

The bobcat was a rare treat - he stood there for a long time watching me. I actually left before he did !
Dancesatmoonrise
Trip Reports (68)

skiwall wrote: They are adorable! More pics?

Kolo
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kolo »

Here are a couple of my favorites from last summer! Once momma moose made it clear to the hungry fox who was the boss, she paraded her babies right in front of my campsite for me to take there pictures. :D
Attachments
11 November edited.JPG
11 November edited.JPG (50.52 KiB) Viewed 6093 times
8 August edited.JPG
8 August edited.JPG (51.79 KiB) Viewed 6089 times
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

While hiking the Colorado Trail in the San Juans. A black bear waiting for me to drop. A couple of bull moose that challenged each other. Later in the evening, they were locking up, snorting, peeing and kicking up dirt on each other. It was very entertaining. SJ Ron
Attachments
Bull Moose
Bull Moose
052.JPG (133.42 KiB) Viewed 6032 times
Black bear near the Animas River
Black bear near the Animas River
K7A40E4C4F6C8C_1000202.JPG (175.99 KiB) Viewed 6035 times
"The mountains are calling and I must go" -- Muir