Family Recommendation

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Newt2
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Family Recommendation

Post by Newt2 »

Most kids in the 8 and under range I see on 14ers aren't having a great time. Your kids my be in the minority on that though.

For a nice easy mountain that's close to Denver, Chief Mountain has great a view to work reward ratio and it's close to Evergreen for something to eat and/or some shopping later. I think it's about a 5 mi. RT and less than 2000 feet of gain. From the top you can see all the way to Pikes Peak to the south and RMNP to the north.
tjmartn1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tjmartn1 »

If you must do a 14er with a 5-year old I would do Mt. Evans from Summit Lake, or Mt. Bierstadt. Both are accessed from paved roads.
rpdawes
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 41 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rpdawes »

I recommend either Mt. Sherman or Chief Mountain as a starter for your young kids. Any regular passenger car can reach the 12,000 ft. trailhead to Mt. Sherman easily even though you would expect a little rough ride.
CHeimCO
14ers: 4 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (2)

Post by CHeimCO »

OP,

From your original post it sounds like you're looking for a good experience more than an accomplishment. For a 5 and 8 year old, hiking any 14er falls under the accomplishment category. Cheif mountain, that others have suggested, seems to be much more reasonable and more likely to give the kids a fun Colorado hiking experience. It's also very close to Mt. Evans which is paved to the top and you can experience 14,000 feet of elevation via minivan power (which has a much higher success rate than 5 year old legs)!

On the nearby camping front, I like West Chicago Creek campground. It's at the end of a maintained gravel road and is the start of a hiking trail so it sees some day time use also. It has fire rings and outhouses but no trash service.

All of the above are accessible from highway 103 between Evergreen and Idaho Springs and together could make a very memorable day in Colorado. Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy your visit!
Phacelialpina
14ers: 15 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Phacelialpina »

A five-year-old and an eight-year-old should definitely be able to hike a fourteener.
I loved hiking my first fourteeners: Democrat, Cameron, Bross, and Quandry when I was 8. One of my younger sisters hiked Belford and Bierdstadt at age 6 and La Plata at age 8. Another of my little sisters hiked Yale, Cameron, Lincoln, and Bross at age 4. She loved the "scrambly" pieces on Yale, saying that the rocks were better than a playground. :lol:
Yale https://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=20543
Cameron, Lincoln, Bross https://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=20544
Both of them are eager to hike more fourteeners.
If you are heading to the Tetons, Medine Bow National Forest may be on your route. Medine Bow Peak is a beautiful and easy peak.
It is a favorite with my family. Medicine Bow https://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=20557
smallMedineBow.jpg
smallMedineBow.jpg (169.65 KiB) Viewed 2063 times
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Phacelialpina wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:36 am If you are heading to the Tetons, Medine Bow National Forest may be on your route.
This thread is more than four years old and the person who was asking hasn't logged in for two and a half years.

I agree with you on the kids though.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Hahahaha!!!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.