Saxon Mountain Road

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Saxon Mountain Road

Post by jomagam »

Does anyone know if the road to Saxon Mnt from Georgetown is passable with a 2011 Outback ?
AyeYo
14ers: 13 
13ers: 13 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Saxon Mountain Road

Post by AyeYo »

Maybe if you have the driving skills of a god. How far up are you going? There are some large undulations around some of the switch backs, which are also pretty steep.
mathguy
14ers: 9 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mathguy »

I hiked up the road part way about a month ago and there was a rather large boulder in the middle
of the road (don't have GPS but I'd estimate about 2.5 miles from where the road starts at the end
of Main St. in Georgetown). It was easy enough to hike around, but looked pretty much impassible for
even a 4wd vehicle.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
jomagam
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

Thanks; looks like it's a no-go. I was planning to drive up all the way. I know, lazy, but timing would not have worked any other way.
AyeYo
14ers: 13 
13ers: 13 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

I forgot that that rock slide was on the main road prior to the fork. You probably couldn't even get an ATV over that pile - too narrow and too dangerously sloped to the downhill.
jomagam
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

Yeah, definitely a no-go. There's rock fall 2.5 and 4 miles up, but regardless of those I would not take my Outback on that road.
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

Just curious, but what were you planning to do? You can still get up there by accessing Cascade Creek Rd or Ute Creek Rd from state hwy 103 from Idaho Springs, or at least try, not sure how bad those roads are these days. These two roads connect to Saxon Mountain. Actually Ute Creek might be the better choice, a few homes are up there, so at least to the subdivision it will be good. I remember it being a very easy road! Spring Creek Rd would be another good option.

At least you can ride a bike up there if all else fails! Drive some, ride the rest!
Ragin Cajun
KC Masterpiece
14ers: 38 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KC Masterpiece »

The conditions of Saxon Mountain road are very dependent on how the trail has been maintained that year. I once got stuck up there for a few hours in my lifted FJ during snow after a rockslide (which we watched happen) covered the road and prevented our exit into Georgetown.

The photo below gives a pretty accurate idea of how narrow the trail is the entire time. There is room to pass on a few switchbacks but if you encounter another vehicle someone will need to back up. Personally I think attempting that trail in an outback is a bad idea unless you are okay with body damage. You will need to put a tire up on a few rocks over 12" to make it through unless the trail has changed.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/YXnMg ... 15-h911-no

Essentially that road can get pretty sketchy sometimes and is very prone to rockfall.