Four Pass- Maroon

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sarahhaubert
14ers: 40  7 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (2)

Four Pass- Maroon

Post by sarahhaubert »

I searched the archives trying to find out why almost every trip report starts at Maroon and didn't find it. Is it mileage? I can't even find the route info for starting at Snowmass or Lead King, just vague references.

Personally, I'd do nearly anything to avoid Maroon Creek Rd...unless anyone knows if it's true that cars can drive it before 8am?
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Four Pass- Maroon

Post by spiderman »

Starting at Snowmass adds a bunch of miles to the route. Probably about 12 miles more RT from the Snowmass Creek TH. Lead King is probably a reasonable starting point if your vehicle can get there. Whenever I did a hike in the Maroon Bell area, I would drive up the night before when cars are allowed up to the TH. Apparently the road is closed only between 9 AM and 5 PM.

Bring a bear cannister.
ChrisG26_2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisG26_2 »

Is the West Maroon TH near Schofield Pass the Lead King approach? I prefer it over starting from the Bells. It add about 1.5 miles. Coming from the Springs, the driving time is about the same as Aspen/Maroon Bells and you can avoid the crowds.
alsrun
14ers: 50 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by alsrun »

The Lead King approach can be gotten to via the road that passes by the West Maroon TH but it is an advanced 4WD approach. Many folks go through Marble to get to LK Basin. Since I live in Crested Butte, I take the West Maroon TH to do the 4-pass loop and I do it clockwise so I go over Frigid Air Pass first and spend my first night in Fravert Basin.
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

Maroon Lake is the perfect starting/ending point, IMO. Yes, you can drive up the road and park at the TH if you are starting early, which is pretty much mandatory for the loop-in-a-day option. It's easy to get to, has a bathroom, the Bells are beautiful in the morning alpen glow, and you are so close to Aspen when you finish (= cheeseburgers, milkshakes, and beer for your post-run celebration). The only down side is all the tourists when you finish, but they are easily ignored.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
pmeadco
14ers: 58  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pmeadco »

ChrisG26_2 wrote:Is the West Maroon TH near Schofield Pass the Lead King approach? I prefer it over starting from the Bells. It add about 1.5 miles. Coming from the Springs, the driving time is about the same as Aspen/Maroon Bells and you can avoid the crowds.
No, the West Maroon Trail is different from the Lead King approach, which is further west.

I've done it from both West Maroon and the Maroon Lake sides. Either way is fine. I appreciate the simplicity and lower price of the West Maroon entrance. I also like to hang out in Crested Butte more than I do Aspen.
sarahhaubert
14ers: 40  7 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by sarahhaubert »

Ahhhh this is so useful you guys thank you! The beta on Lead King and this West Maroon alternative was exactly the kind of magic I was hoping for. Stoked.
Cool Hand Luke
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 105
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

Maroon Creek Road to the Bells is closed to private vehicles from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM starting last year. If you're at the gate at 8:01 they will likely turn you around.

Also, the exemption for overnight hikers is no longer in place to be allowed to drive up between 8:00 AM- 5:00 PM.