PSA: Watch your Speed in Buena Vista / Leadville

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
User avatar
ThuChad
Posts: 375
Joined: 8/24/2009
14er Checklist (27)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (1)

Re: PSA: Watch your Speed in Buena Vista / Leadville

Postby ThuChad » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:36 pm

Oh ok. Not as funny as I thought then.
highcountryhiker
Posts: 106
Joined: 8/29/2008
14er Checklist (27)
13er Checklist (70)

Re: PSA: Watch your Speed in Buena Vista / Leadville

Postby highcountryhiker » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:57 pm

We will be down in the BV area in the next few days. Thanks for the reminder that the "night" speed limit restrictions start on Saturday.
User avatar
GeezerClimber
Posts: 553
Joined: 8/9/2011
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (15)

Re: PSA: Watch your Speed in Buena Vista / Leadville

Postby GeezerClimber » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:22 pm

I live in BV and wildlife is very, very plentiful here and car/animal collisions are all too common. During the fall especially, we are very careful around dusk which we have dubbed "bambi hour". I have not heard if the lower speed limits have actually reduced car/animal collisions or not. I hope they have. That said, the two tickets I have received on this stretch were both mid day. As I said before, it is heavily patrolled.

Dave
User avatar
Rarefied
Posts: 183
Joined: 9/29/2010
14er Checklist Not Entered

Re: PSA: Watch your Speed in Buena Vista / Leadville

Postby Rarefied » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:37 pm

It's just as Dex describes. Harsh weather drives them down from higher terrain. And it doesn't have to be full snow cover either. Rain, high winds and the like will also do it.

Over the years officials have tried other approaches to alert drivers on that stretch such as attaching red cloth flags to existing “Deer Xing” signs. (They probably didn't get much for that effort.) There was even brief talk of installing the same kind of automated detection/warning system that you see along US160 east of Durango. It senses wildlife near the road and then turns on bright yellow lights on a warning sign. But the high costs for the sensing system, power, etc. made it a easy target for a veto.

Given the history of the BV-Leadville segment, I do think safety was the main motivation for implementing the seasonal reduction in nighttime speeds. (A quick check with one on-line calculator shows a 57' braking advantage at 55MPH vs. 65MPH.) But I also don't doubt for an instant that the increased revenue stream from violations doesn't particularly bother anyone at the government level either. :twisted:

By the way, I do agree that all the information on those signs can be hard to “digest” at speed if one isn't expecting the unusual nature of them. And don't get me wrong, djkest: Long ago roadside discussions about speedometers rings a faint bell somewhere. :-" If it's any consolation, if I had been the officer you would have been let off with a warning that early in the season. :wink:

R
Last edited by Rarefied on Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
edhaman
Posts: 491
Joined: 8/21/2010
14er Checklist (15)
13er Checklist (14)

Re: PSA: Watch your Speed in Buena Vista / Leadville

Postby edhaman » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:08 pm

So it seems that the prudent thing to do is watch your speed everywhere. Is it really worth the extra cost of fines and added insurance rates to get there a few minutes earlier? Not to mention the potential damage to your vehicle and even death.
User avatar
edhaman
Posts: 491
Joined: 8/21/2010
14er Checklist (15)
13er Checklist (14)

Re: PSA: Watch your Speed in Buena Vista / Leadville

Postby edhaman » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:08 pm

So it seems that the prudent thing to do is watch your speed everywhere. Is it really worth the extra cost of fines and added insurance rates to get there a few minutes earlier? Not to mention the potential damage to your vehicle and even death.
User avatar
Roald
Posts: 233
Joined: 7/2/2007
14er Checklist (57)
14ers in Winter (1)

Re: PSA: Watch your Speed in Buena Vista / Leadville

Postby Roald » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:12 am

edhaman wrote:Is it really worth the extra cost of fines and added insurance rates to get there a few minutes earlier?


Yes, it is to me. A decent detector and laser jamming equipment installed on my vehicle helps avoid fines, and I'll take my chances with Bambi. Heads up like the original post helps too, thanks.
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.
User avatar
ctlee
Posts: 96
Joined: 2/21/2011
14er Checklist (19)
14ers in Winter (4)
13er Checklist (37)

Re: PSA: Watch your Speed in Buena Vista / Leadville

Postby ctlee » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:28 am

Roald wrote:
edhaman wrote:Is it really worth the extra cost of fines and added insurance rates to get there a few minutes earlier?


Yes, it is to me. A decent detector and laser jamming equipment installed on my vehicle helps avoid fines, and I'll take my chances with Bambi. Heads up like the original post helps too, thanks.


Ummmm....you left out the part of his statement about risking death....I've seen dead human bodies in cars mangled with dead deer bodies that came through the windshields (former paramedic). Yeah, that's worth risking to get to the trailhead an extra 15 minutes early. Leave home earlier. Simple. And smart. Or don't. It's a free country.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow-learn as if you were to live forever-----Mahatma Gandhi
User avatar
Roald
Posts: 233
Joined: 7/2/2007
14er Checklist (57)
14ers in Winter (1)

Re: PSA: Watch your Speed in Buena Vista / Leadville

Postby Roald » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:43 am

ctlee wrote:
Roald wrote:
edhaman wrote:Is it really worth the extra cost of fines and added insurance rates to get there a few minutes earlier?


Yes, it is to me. A decent detector and laser jamming equipment installed on my vehicle helps avoid fines, and I'll take my chances with Bambi. Heads up like the original post helps too, thanks.


Ummmm....you left out the part of his statement about risking death....I've seen dead human bodies in cars mangled with dead deer bodies that came through the windshields (former paramedic). Yeah, that's worth risking to get to the trailhead an extra 15 minutes early. Leave home earlier. Simple. And smart. Or don't. It's a free country.



Oh yeah, I did forget about that death thing. Probably not good to risk death while driving to a mountain to risk death again. Seriously though, I think its just the whole police thing that bugs me. 8-[
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.
User avatar
ctlee
Posts: 96
Joined: 2/21/2011
14er Checklist (19)
14ers in Winter (4)
13er Checklist (37)

Re: PSA: Watch your Speed in Buena Vista / Leadville

Postby ctlee » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:50 am

Oh yeah, I did forget about that death thing. Probably not good to risk death while driving to a mountain to risk death again.



Somehow, I saw that coming! #-o :lol:
Live as if you were to die tomorrow-learn as if you were to live forever-----Mahatma Gandhi
User avatar
iheshvail
Posts: 16
Joined: 4/11/2011
14er Checklist (24)
13er Checklist (1)

Re: PSA: Watch your Speed in Buena Vista / Leadville

Postby iheshvail » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:04 pm

yeah this area was already a speed trap. A CSP trooper pulled me over for going 5 over. yes 5 over. he gave me a warning but it was a 15 min delay to the denny creek th.
if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
User avatar
oldschool
Posts: 572
Joined: 2/27/2007
14er Checklist (48)
14ers in Winter (6)

Re: PSA: Watch your Speed in Buena Vista / Leadville

Postby oldschool » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:02 pm

Remember.....no one HAS to go the speed limit. Feel free to go as fast as you want. You know the risk........a ticket, possibly a big one, possible interaction with wildlife and the consequences of that. Go for it....after all, who wants to be a whole 15 minutes late a trailhead. I mean, now that's just unacceptable. And I'm a good driver....I can drive faster than the posted speed limit. Please people........just follow the speed limit. Thx.

Return to “Trailheads, Roads, and Camping”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests