Barr Trail -$20 FEE? - NEED URGENT RESPONSE BY TUES 3-29

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Barr Trail -$20 FEE? - NEED URGENT RESPONSE BY TUES 3-29

Post by Jim Davies »

Sanity has been restored. Or maybe that $20 rate in the proposal wasn't ever a real possibility.
http://www.outtherecolorado.com/blogs/f ... ealed.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dan Folk, the city planner for Manitou Springs, says the new proposal cuts that rate down to $3.

He says: . "The revenue model in the plan assumed an $8 fee for short term parking (4 hours), $5 for mid-term (4-8 hours) and $3 for long term (more than 8 hours). So if this rate schedule were adopted the daily rate would be $3. The idea is to encourage long term parking through pricing, reduce the number of vehicles circling on Hydro Street and hopefully free up some spaces for daytime Barr Trail hikers and Barr Camp."
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
elchivoloco
14ers: 52  3  3 
13ers: 33 3 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by elchivoloco »

Won't people just park in the long-term lot and leave early?
The atmosphere is not a perfume, it has no taste of distillation, it is odorless. It is in my mouth forever, I am in love with it. I will go to the bank by the wood and become undisguised and naked, I am mad for it to be in contact with me. -Walt Whitman
Jim Davies
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

There's only one lot. The fee you're charged will be determined (and charged to your credit card) based on when you enter and leave (via an automated kiosk and gate system).
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
dmccool
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dmccool »

Jim Davies wrote:There's only one lot. The fee you're charged will be determined (and charged to your credit card) based on when you enter and leave (via an automated kiosk and gate system).
Jim (and others),

What are the possibilities of opening up the upper Cog Railroad lot (the lot at the base of the incline) in the off-season? There are rarely any cars there. For me, I use the incline as a way to get in shape during the winter and I don't really use it in the late spring and summer.

Dan
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov
MUni Rider
14ers: 51 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (20)

Post by MUni Rider »

It is my opinion that the $20 fee idea was circulated so that people would be less pissed about an $5-10 fee that could be forced onto us hikers, thus getting people to believe: "At least it's not $20!"

Boycotting would only work if EVERYONE is in on it. Otherwise, it's hard to quantify the absence of a few who may, over time return after awhile anyway. If they impose any crazy fee, I would suggest a protest hike-in. If several hundred people show up and hike without paying then maybe that will get some attention, especially if the media were notified prior.

I guess I better hurry and get beat my incline time goal before it all gets too stupid.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
dmccool
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dmccool »

MUni Rider wrote:Boycotting would only work if EVERYONE is in on it. Otherwise, it's hard to quantify the absence of a few who may, over time return after awhile anyway. If they impose any crazy fee, I would suggest a protest hike-in. If several hundred people show up and hike without paying then maybe that will get some attention, especially if the media were notified prior.
I love a good non-violent protest/hike-in. Count me in.
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov
cftbq
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (32)

Post by cftbq »

MUni Rider wrote:It is my opinion that the $20 fee idea was circulated so that people would be less pissed about an $5-10 fee that could be forced onto us hikers, thus getting people to believe: "At least it's not $20!"

Boycotting would only work if EVERYONE is in on it. Otherwise, it's hard to quantify the absence of a few who may, over time return after awhile anyway. If they impose any crazy fee, I would suggest a protest hike-in.
+1. This is plain insanity, but it's the kind of insanity that's becoming more and more common, as governments decide that they can squeeze anyone who's available for more money. ONLY a solid negative response will dissuade them. I'm glad I've already climbed all the summits that are most easily accessible from the Barr TH at least once, but it still pains me to think that I might have to scratch this permanently off my list of hiking and climbing possibilities--which I certainly will do if anything even remotely resembling this proposal goes into effect. (Of course, at the extremum, I might very well park however far down in town I had to to find free parking, and hike/run the extra distance up to the TH, cursing the city government all the way...)
I have been to the mountaintop, and I have seen the force
and the power that animates the universe. That may not
match up with your anthropomorphic or teleological idea of
what "god" is, but it's good enough for me.
Jim Davies
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

MUni Rider wrote:If they impose any crazy fee, I would suggest a protest hike-in. If several hundred people show up and hike without paying then maybe that will get some attention, especially if the media were notified prior.
That sounds like a typical weekday morning on the incline these days.

What exactly are you planning to protest? The suggested fee ($3/day probably) is only for the 40 spots in the Barr lot, not the on-street spots on Ruxton.
dmccool wrote:What are the possibilities of opening up the upper Cog Railroad lot (the lot at the base of the incline) in the off-season?
The Cog people are planning to make some of their spots (next to the old incline base) available in the morning (I think before 9 am only), for a fee, probably the same price the Iron Springs Chateau people are charging. The big incline parking crunch probably hits the same season as the cog's busy season anyway, so I doubt if it will matter much. The Barr lot is probably big enough for the Barr Trail traffic most of the time, if you get the incline users out of it.
cftbq wrote:it still pains me to think that I might have to scratch this permanently off my list of hiking and climbing possibilities
I've pretty much scratched the Barr Trail from my list already, due to the nutzo incline parking crush. My motivation in participating in the public process is to reclaim that lot from the workout crowd.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

Looks like there's going to be another meeting on Monday, 4/18.
Hello again friends and hikers of Barr Trail:

The Manitou Springs city planners and parking board would like to have a meeting to discuss parking fees, Barr Trail parking lot, and other Incline/Barr Trail issues that Barr Trail users may have. This is intended to be a focus group meeting where we have a good representation of Barr Trail users attend for discussions. If you have ideas or suggestions about the future of parking in Manitou Springs, this is for you.

Where: Manitou Springs City Hall
When: Monday, April 18 at 5:00 pm – This Monday

If you cannot attend but have something you would like to communicate to the planners. They can take your emails at: manthony@comsgov.com (Michelle).

You can also review the Incline Management and Site Improvement Plan at: http://www.manitouspringsgov.com/govern ... ts/incline

Happy Trails,

Neal & Teresa Taylor
Tejonmax
14ers: 25 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Barr Trail -$20 FEE? - NEED URGENT RESPONSE BY TUES 3-2

Post by Tejonmax »

Well I guess they didn't care about the emails. The fee has been increased to $20.00 a day.

http://www.krdo.com/news/colorado-sprin ... e/88444076" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

Word is that it is supposed to remain $5 per day for anyone hiking to Barr Camp or the summit through a refund voucher which can be obtained at Barr Camp...
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

It's still pretty easy to find free parking down in Manitou Springs to access Barr and the Incline. Sure, it adds some distance, but most of us go there to get in some miles anyhow.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach