Oct. 3 Conditions

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
User avatar
djbritton
Posts: 37
Joined: 7/1/2009
14er Checklist (8)

Oct. 3 Conditions

Postby djbritton » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:19 pm

Hey all,

I'm thinking of driving out from Kansas City this weekend for one last trip this year. I am considering doing Mt. Massive (East Slopes - Standard Route) or the Bierstadt/Sawtooth/Evans combo.

What are snow and ice conditions like on these mountains (and the roads to the trailheads)? I don't have any ice gear (crampons, ice ax, etc.) and do not want to purchase them now.

I'm open to other suggestions for similar hikes. But I drive a 4 door sedan, so can't do 4wd roads to any trailheads (yet!).

Thanks in advance!
Dan
Glen
Posts: 131
Joined: 12/9/2006
14er Checklist (38)
14ers Skied (1)
13er Checklist (29)

Re: Oct. 3 Conditions

Postby Glen » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:22 pm

you will be fine, little snow, little cold, but i think it will be ok.
"I remember when I used to be into nostalgia."
User avatar
Tornadoman
Posts: 733
Joined: 7/30/2007
14er Checklist (43)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (26)

Re: Oct. 3 Conditions

Postby Tornadoman » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:28 pm

Maybe someone else with recent experience can chime in, but I think the Sawtooth might be a bit problematic w/o snow gear.

I think the weather that Saturday looks ok, a little cold and windy but should be a decent day. I will probably be doing Huron Peak.
cwm
Posts: 189
Joined: 9/26/2009
14er Checklist Not Entered

Re: Oct. 3 Conditions

Postby cwm » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:37 pm

There is a cold front coming Thursday and Friday. They are not forecasting a lot of snow but if it is cold then any moisture will be snow.

To climb Bierstadt you will have to drive Guenella Pass from the south, Grant and Highway 285. As far as the Sawtooth and Evans there may already be enough snow up there to make that tricky. Even though it has been sunny the last couple of days, anything north facing will still have snow on the ground.
User avatar
George James
Posts: 829
Joined: 8/24/2007
14er Checklist Not Entered

Re: Oct. 3 Conditions

Postby George James » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:06 pm

Dan,

As Mr cwm noted, if you're planning on B-stadt make sure you use US-285 and not I-70 to get there. Sounds like there's also some other restrictions due to construction going on if you listen to the recording...

CDOT wrote:Guanella Pass Road (County Road 381) closed at Clear Lake due to rock instability. No through traffic. For additional information, call 303-569-3251, press "2" for Guanella Pass.

http://www.cotrip.org/

There will certainly be some snow on the ground, probably not too much tho. I personally recommend that you take your 14er goggles off and look around at some of the other fine peaks that Colorado has to offer: Areas and Ranges in Colorado

Good Luck!
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund
User avatar
statentr
Posts: 5
Joined: 9/22/2009
14er Checklist (3)

Re: Oct. 3 Conditions

Postby statentr » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:06 pm

I did the Sawtooth traverse before the snows hit and it was fine, but as for the amount of snow we got in the past week, I am not so sure I would do that route. I would worry that when you cross over to the west side of sawtooth you may be on a ledge with a ton of snow, but with it being as warm as it has been recently, it could be better than I expect. The problem is when you cross over to the west side, there hasn't been much sun getting to that portion. Not sure what Massive would be like, that is just my thought on the Sawtooth area.
User avatar
yosemite98
Posts: 106
Joined: 5/28/2007
14er Checklist (29)
13er Checklist (14)

Re: Oct. 3 Conditions

Postby yosemite98 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:16 pm

The SW slopes route on Massive is a good late season trail b/c it's south facing until 14,000 ft. With a 2wd vehicle you can get 1/2 mile from the trailhead, and most 4wd vehicles can get to the trailhead if you pick the right line. The standard East slopes route will probably have some snow on it.

I'll be doing Elbert this weekend, East Ridge. Taking the wife up on her first 14er.

Return to “Trailheads, Roads, and Camping”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests