Talusmonkey June Birthday / Memorial Hike

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
jamienellis
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 80
Trip Reports (5)

Post by jamienellis »

Not sure if one is in the works, but could someone post a trip report? Thanks!
stevevets689 & CODave are on the job! There should be a TR & lots of pics up within the next couple of days. :D
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Kiefer
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kiefer »

Rockymtnhigh69 wrote:It was a great climb and it felt really good that we all climbed Humboldt together to celebrate TM's birthday and his life.. You all are fantastic people and Caroline you are such a stong, amazing person.. I am so happy I met you all. So many great people and conversations.. Thank you all for putting up with my behemoth labrador "Jeter" He was very happy to be there with you all too..

Thank you to Skaasgard and Skdeil for helping spot this "yuppie" up and down south colony lake so that I would not damage my pretty truck.. That road is just downright evil. :twisted:

I hope to see you and climb with you all again.. You all are a great bunch of people and I left yesterday feeling like I made a bunch of new friends.
I couldn't agree more. I thought Sunday went off beautifully. Great weather, good spirits and tons of help from everyone. For a group of the size we all had, I actually thought we all moved fairly quickly. This is indeed one awesome site.
No problem with the spotting guy's. That road doesn't play nice with stock vehicles! :D I've seriously dented oil pans, passanger-side fender and blew a flat tire up there before when I was alone. It's pretty sweet everyone got as far as they did. But thanks Merlin6803 and Rockymtnhigh69. Can't wait to see some of these pics!
David would have had a big sh*t-eatin grin on his face to have seen everyone.

I was thinking about this a little last night at work. I spoke to a few of you regarding David's passing and I can see how this might come across as sounding, well, morbid, but you know, he died doing what he absolutely loved. He died WITH someone he loved. In the end, can anyone really ask for more than that? It makes me smile a little bit, because I actually feel a bit closer to the mountains and the wilderness now. There's nothing to fear up there, only to embrace it. I feel, we sent a dear friend off right yesterday. And seriously, thanks for coming, Caroline. I applaud your fortitude and strength.
I'm quite glad to see so many people show up yesterday. And from as far away as New Mexico and Steamboat Springs. We really are an awesome community here. =D>

Roozers42: thanks for the shell up on top! It helped a great deal with the wind.
SDKeil: Thanks for supplying the Colt and Morgan's.
JamieNellis and CODave: Whip Cream! That stuff made the brownies go down better and was very fitting! :D Thanks! BTW, great shirts Dave and Kate! Thanks for supplying the hats and brownies, Jamie.
Del_Sur: Man, it was awesome to finally meet ya! You're one cool cat! Nice shirt by the way! :lol:
Scott Patterson: I hope everything went well for you and Kessler yesterday. Congrats on getting up there on the summit! Kessler is absolutely adoreable.
jamienellis
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 80
Trip Reports (5)

Post by jamienellis »

Whip Cream! That stuff made the brownies go down better and was very fitting!
Man, you aren't kidding. I ate the rest of the can on my brownie for dinner last night. :lol:
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
kurty[B]
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kurty[B] »

I had a great time! It was great to spend time with so many people who share a love with the mountains and wilderness.

I think my running boards are a bit mangled, but otherwise the Xterra was untouched, thanks to skasgaard

Anyone ever figure out what/where the gunshots came from?

And Scott, you have the coolest 5 year old I've ever met! \:D/

I'm glad you could make it Caroline. You are strong and a great person. I couldn't help but laugh when you took that shot of Captain and said "it tastes like burning!"
swturner
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by swturner »

I wanted to thank everyone also for the great time.

I rode up with CODave, Kate and Roozers and had a lot of fun.

CODave did a great job driving up that so called road. I think it's really just a really wide hiking trail--and not even a good one of those! And no damage to the Toyota to boot! I look forward to doing some more hikes with you later this summer.

It was great meeting new people and seeing some old ones too. JamieNellis--thanks for all the prep work and the goodies up top. That was better than having the concession stand at the top of Pike's Peak! (I'm pretty sure they don't sell rum and whipped cream! :D )

Roozers--it was great hiking and camping with you! Our little detour with USAKeller and SDKeil was a great way to end the hike! And thanks for giving Skaasgard the shell up top--he looked so cute!! :lol: I hope we can go back and do the Crestones. And for everyone's information she makes a great campside cheesecake--even after the dog got the first taste.

Kate--it was nice meeting CODave's other half. You are a lot of fun. How about next time though you get a little deeper into the woods before you leave your mark. :shock: And just remember, it's not the size of the pizza that counts......

And it is good to be a gangster! 8)

Scott
"It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive."--Bruce Springsteen
Kiefer
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kiefer »

swturner wrote: And thanks for giving Skaasgard the shell up top--he looked so cute!! :lol:
Scott
Oh, Man, I thought I was going to get away from that! :oops:

CODave, you look like you're about ready to go to town on Jen with that whip cream bottle! :lol:

I never thought Humboldt could look like this...
Kate
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kate »

Skasgaard -- your group summit photo is the best I've seen yet (by far)! -- awesome!

It was great meeting everyone!
--- http://www.talusmonkey.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ---
cbauer10
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cbauer10 »

Judging from the clothing and the comments, it looks like it was a little cold up there on Sunday. We had a nice warm summit on Saturday, but we had to deal with the bugs pretty bad because there wasn't much of a breeze. I like the hats guys. You are making me feel more and more like I missed out on a great party. :cry:
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

Wow.
Humboldt as my new favorite 14er?
No, but that was the best time I've had overall on any 14er hike.
Great pic, Skasgaard. I am really glad we finally crossed paths, and look forward to hanging out and hiking some more. You're a class act.
Speaking of class acts:
CODave and Kate: The hike up with you two (following Moses' crazy route) was great because of your company. You two are the kind of people everyone should know.
Roozers: It was nice to finally meet you, too. I didn't get any cheesecake, but chatting with you was great. See you again soon.
Jaimes: Thanks for the extensive beta on Orizaba as we descended. Ms. Nellis, you were a great host and planner for this hike.
Jeff_F: Thanks for bouncing up and down that road with me without a single complaint. Thanks even more for the shows--I had four uninterrupted hours of P. Groove to keep me smiling all the way home.
Mr. Palindrome (you know who you are): Keep doing what you're doing. Man, if I knew what you knew at your age...
David: Thanks for smiling down on us, and getting the Man Upstairs to give us beautiful weather!

I wish I'd had more time to talk with more people. Everyone was cool.
What a group we have here!!!!
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
CODave
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 61 1
Trip Reports (31)

Post by CODave »

jamienellis wrote:stevevets689 & CODave are on the job! There should be a TR & lots of pics up within the next couple of days.
Here is my personal trip report. I’ll be creating one on TalusMonkey.com that includes pics from everyone in the next couple days. Please send me your photos from that day so that I can begin compiling them. Thanks!

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripmain

Skasgaard wrote: JamieNellis and CODave: Whip Cream! That stuff made the brownies go down better and was very fitting! :D Thanks! BTW, great shirts Dave and Kate! Thanks for supplying the hats and brownies, Jamie.
Kiefer, it was great to finally meet you. I hope we can hike sometime again in the near future.

swturner wrote: CODave did a great job driving up that so called road. I think it's really just a really wide hiking trail--and not even a good one of those! And no damage to the Toyota to boot! I look forward to doing some more hikes with you later this summer.
Scott
Scott, thanks for riding with me, it was great fun. Also, thanks again for all the help with the road. I definitely couldn’t have done it without you!

del_sur wrote: CODave and Kate: The hike up with you two (following Moses' crazy route) was great because of your company. You two are the kind of people everyone should know.
Matt, it was good to see you again. We had a lot of fun hiking with you yesterday. I hope we can meet up again soon.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Thanks everyone for the great trip. It was great to meet eveyone and to honor David.

Anyway, me missed the main party, but there were still enough in the slower group to have a party of our own on the summit. Here are two photos of the summit with much smaller party going on:

Anyway, I'm putting several photos in an album in Summitpost. I could add them to 14ers in a thread or page, but assume that since we didn't get too many photos of most of the members and missed the big summit gathering, that other's photos might be better here? I'll send some to talusmonkey.com.

Anyway, Kessler and I had a great time. Thanks to everyone we me and for the kindness.
Anyone ever figure out what/where the gunshots came from?
Don't know, but when Kessler and I walked up on Saturday, that old orange pickup wasn't shot up. Later, it's tires were shot, it's windows were shot out and the instrument panel.
Last edited by Scott P on Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

rockymtnhigh69,

You have a great dog (even though he barked at me in the TH, he was probably just trying to tell me its too early to be up right now or maybe cause I'm a die hard O's fan, pathetic I know), Labs are the best, yours is friggin enormous, we've got one back home 122lbs, thing is a walrus.