Talusmonkey June Birthday / Memorial Hike

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
danielsb
Trip Reports (0)

From Littleton - carpool - Saturday night, camp, hike Sunday

Post by danielsb »

Any one near by thinking of going to Humbolt - leaving Saturday night, camp and hike Sunday?
Colorado has been my life.
danielsb
Trip Reports (0)

carpool saturday

Post by danielsb »

Cruiser wrote:I'm in! I'll most probably drive in Saturday afternoon. I've been looking forward to driving the S. Colony Lakes Road for a couple of years now. I'm going to try to talk jmiller into going as well, but either way I'll have room in the truck for one or two more people if anyone is interested in carpooling from the Littleton area.
Hi Cruiser
I wont be able to leave town till evening time but would be interested.
let me know if that works.
Dan
Colorado has been my life.
elkheart22
14ers: 14 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (0)

Post by elkheart22 »

Is it still 2:00 for the meet & greet @ the Pizza place?

I may drive up & have a beer, but have to hustle back for a
Father's day BBQ.

Love to meet everybody....
Lakes below the mountains
Flow into the sea
Like oils applied to canvas,
They permeate through me. --- Jimmy Buffett
jamienellis
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 80
Trip Reports (5)

Post by jamienellis »

elkheart22,
Yep! That's the plan. I'm not sure exactly how many are meeting up; but I'd say at least 10 of us will be there.

We'd love to meet you!

I had no idea that Sunday is Father's Day until late last week...I know that makes the date terribly inconvenient for a lot of people. Sorry about that!
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

Rockymtnhigh69 wrote:Caroline,
I was planning on meeting the group at the pizza place in Westcliffe.. I can take two people with gear up S. Colony Lakes in my Jeep. You and Skdeil might get a kiss or two from my labrador in the back seat :D but I can take you guys to the spot where we plan to hike.. Steve, I will probably have room for you as well, as long as you go semi light on the gear.. Let me know..
Vince,
That sounds perfect! Looking forward to meeting you.

del_sur,
I've got some of his favorite songs... but, this is the MOST random mix I've ever had! Keep one thing in mind for the playlist: they are songs that pertain somehow to David!
Yog
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Yog »

I am going to try very hard to make this climb. I have some plans that have stuck and not been agreeable to my attempts at rescheduling. Still working on it, but not looking good so far :(

Jamie, I'll let you know if I can go, otherwise I'll shoot for the August gathering.
. . .Now, after the hours of torment . . . I have nothing more to do than breathe . . .I am nothing more than a single, narrow, gasping lung, floating over the mists and the summits.
-Reinhold Messner
Rockymtnhigh69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Rockymtnhigh69 »

Sounds good USAKeller.. I will see you guys in Westcliffe around 2 pm... Looking forward to camping and climbing with everyone. Great job organizing this Jamie. :)
On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)
Aspen Summit
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Aspen Summit »

I will still be in court overseeing cases so will someone PLEASE tip his or her hat off for me to David? Thanks a bunches!! :)

I'll be Home on the 20th.

Knight
Follow Your Path! Cross ALL Boundaries!! AND RIDE THE EARTH, BABY!!!
ontopoftheworld
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ontopoftheworld »

I will be camping at the Sand Dunes this weekend. Anybody know how far it is from there to the trailhead?
stevevets689
14ers: 55  5  1 
13ers: 53 2
Trip Reports (43)

Post by stevevets689 »

A long way, it's on the other side of the range, and the Sangre de Cristos are the most effective wall in the state. You'll have to go down and over La Vita Pass and then back north... a couple hours total? Something like that. The Dunes are great, though, you'll have a blast there at any rate.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll take you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

Steve,
Can't you take the Medano Pass road over from the Dunes?
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
stevevets689
14ers: 55  5  1 
13ers: 53 2
Trip Reports (43)

Post by stevevets689 »

Yeah you can but it's a jeep road... if you're camped at the dunes then it would probably get you there faster, true... maybe an hour to an hour and a half. It's a rough road.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll take you down to their level and beat you with experience.