Climber injured and stranded on Humboldt Peak

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Freeze
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Freeze »

CO Native (Josh) what an amazing and risky effort you put into that rescue! Your efforts and candor help the healing process for this entire community of mountaineers and David's friends and family.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
F Bomb
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by F Bomb »

Wow, I just saw this on the news and am speechless, I didn't know TM outside of these boards but found him informative and extremely humorous, he will clearly be missed. I have never lost anyone in the mountains that I even remotedly knew and this hits closer to home than anything before.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

Jeremy
mtnduck9
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnduck9 »

I usually only read the Forum on weekends, but had a "dog breath day" at work today (I love dogs and own 2, but you know or can guess what I mean), so I decided to visit 14ers for some great photos. Saw the memorium and thought it was a joke, knowing Talus like I do....

Wait, I've never met Talus!

Yeah I have, over the 3+ yrs I've been enjoying this site!

I've never read a 33 page thread before tonite, and it wasn't until about page 29 when I realized that I asked a ? of the Forum last summer, and within minutes had a detailed answer from TM, complete with recommendations and links on whereto find them!

Never thought to send my thanks, but Talus, I think you now know that I do thank you!

If I ever get in trouble on a 14er,(quite poss with my heart condition) I hope Caroline is with me; what a STAR!

If I was younger and in better shape, I'd join SAR like CONative, cause you guys are my heroes!

Condolences to all, love to all, and Bill, thanks for the great site!
PKelley
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 208 3
Trip Reports (6)

Post by PKelley »

I think that the hardest that I have ever laughed at anything on this forum was when TM was talking about "doin' the nasty" near the top of Uncomphagre. What a terrible loss.
The Dalai Lama when asked what surprised him most about humanity:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”
speedpolka
14ers: 23  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by speedpolka »

Thank you to the members for your time and commitment. Very heroic and selfless. And thanks CO Native for your report.

I will keep TM's family and friends in my prayers.

Josh
Subduction leads to Orogeny.
cbauer10
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cbauer10 »

To all, thank you for sharing. It is great to see the outpouring of care that we all share for someone that a lot of us either didn't know or hardly knew. I am honored to be among such great people.

God speed TM!!!

Thanks for the smiles!!! :lol:
gurlyclimber
14ers: 34 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gurlyclimber »

Co Native. . .I just read your report. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you posting that. Thanks for your efforts and the efforts of your team. I hope with each passing day that you feel even better. Like the others said, you are a hero.
creidinger
14ers: 36 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (4)

Post by creidinger »

Wow......I just saw this. I haven't been paying attention to the news this week, on a week when I wish I would have. I don't even have the words to say right now....so sad. I was really hoping to meet the Talus Monkey--I've heard so much about him from other members of 14ers.com that I met on WEE and on Columbia a few weeks ago.
One thing's for sure: I now have an even greater respect for hard-packed snowfields...gravity can sure take you away out of control into the rocks.

My thoughts and prayers are with David's family and USAKeller and all who knew him.

'As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him; 14 for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust. 15 As for man, his days are like grass, he flourishes like a flower of the field; 16 the wind blows over it and it is gone, and its place remembers it no more. 17 But from everlasting to everlasting the LORD's love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children's children.'
Psalm 103:13-17
"GOD, the Lord, is my strength; he makes my feet like the deer's; he makes me tread on my high places." Habakkuk 3:19
sanjuanmtneer
14ers: 58 
13ers: 664
Trip Reports (2)

Post by sanjuanmtneer »

I woke up at 4 this morning and couldn't go back to sleep thinking about what happened and how difficult it must be for some people. I also thought a lot about TalusMonkey and how much he meant to so many people.

I think he is a true definition of a man. This is the highest compliment I can give another male. To have so many friends, to have so many fine qualities, to be loved by so many. To be strong and brave, to be witty, humble and funny. To be giving and caring. To be so missed.

From what I have read, he has set an example that all of us can aspire to. I hope I can learn from his deeds and his personality and become a better man.

When I think about USAKeller and what she did and is doing now, I feel strengthened by her resolve and woeful for her loss. I think she is a heroic, strong woman.

And when I think of the SAR people and their comittment, courage and unselfishness, I feel like a little girly girl.

To his friends and family, and USAKeller, I am very sorry David died so young.

I think, as an angel, he'll watch over his mountaineer friends and guide them to safety when they're in need.
goblue0910
14ers: 38 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by goblue0910 »

I don't post alot, but I've been lurking for months. I don't know what to say besides my thoughts go out to TM's family and friends, USK, and anyone else affected by this loss.

I just got to CO and was reading the posts about TM's fall before I left to go climbing yesterday. I left thinking TM was going to be fine. Needless to say, I was completely shocked when I got back today and read what happened.

CONative, thank you for the report and for what you do. Every time I climb, I always feel safer knowing the SAR teams are out there.

I never met TM, but like many others, I was always amused by his posts. I was thinking about him in the pimp suit when I was climbing yesterday and I will always think about that when I climb this summer. I hope he's enjoying a 40 right now.

Martin
I learned this, at least, by my experiment; that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. - Thoreau
EastCoastClimber
Trip Reports (0)

Post by EastCoastClimber »

rest in peace TM...have fun climbing the great peaks in heaven, you are definetly not finished climbing...

Just keep in your hearts knowing that TM went doing what he loved.
mcdonnellms
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mcdonnellms »

CONative and all SAR personnel... Thank you for what you do. My son is just beginning his SAR career in Ft Collins. He and all of you are my heroes. I won't be able to make any of the tribute climbs but know that my very next climb/hike will be in honor of Talus Monkey and SAR.

Semper Fi
Mark