Climber injured and stranded on Humboldt Peak

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
ColoMtnHiker
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ColoMtnHiker »

CONative, thanks for being that special person who will risk all to help another person in dire need. I have always respected SAR but for the first time I understand what you and your fellow volunteers do and the heroic efforts it sometimes takes.

Caroline, I was in awe of your skills at your young age even before this tragic accident. You did your very best and even though the ending wasn't what we all wanted it was your gallant efforts that gave David a chance.

To David's family and close friends my heart goes out to all of you. I never met Talus Monkey but feel like I have known him for a long time. I can truly say I lost a friend on the mountain.

Happy Trails David, look out for the rest of us mere mortals.
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
rollin
14ers: 9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rollin »

I never had the privilege of meeting TM, but the number of responses on this post tell me he was one great guy. Prayers are being lifted up to his family and friends.
norseman
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by norseman »

I kept a close watch on this forum when Talus Monkey's accident happened, wondering how he was doing during the night he spent on the mountain. I expected he would make it. It's still hard to believe he didn't. I never met him but I wish I did, and I'm amazed at the outpouring of sentiment here. I think it shows what mountain people are all about.
Some people seem to live every day as if there were no tomorrow, their lives burning brightly. Talus Monkey did and it rubbed off on many others including mine up here in New Hampshire. You don't carry too many people in your head and heart throughout your life. I expect to carry a bit of Talus Monkey with me to every mountain I climb. My day can only be better for it. I hope wherever he is there are some sweet mountains to climb.

Randy
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.
- Edward Abbey
summitrunner
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by summitrunner »

I want to send my thoughts and prayers to Talus Monkey's friends and family. I am proud to be a part of the 14ers.com family...we have all come together to remember a man many of us have never met. His posts will truly be missed. I wish the best to his family and friends and want to let everyone know that this 14ers.com member is grieving with you in Summit County.

I would hope that all of my friends would help me like USAKeller helped TM. You are a great friend!

Thanks CONative for doing what you do and your post. It answered a lot of questions.

I hope that all of us can find just a fraction of fun that TM found in this sport/hobby/religion that we all participate in. He is a great man!
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE
ontopoftheworld
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ontopoftheworld »

TalusMonkey's sister wrote:I'm David's sister in North Carolina.
Thank you for sharing your brother with us. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. He was a special person and will be missed.
colopilot2002
Trip Reports (0)

Post by colopilot2002 »

9news story has again been updated...

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=69490
Tread light, leave only foot prints and take only memories...
Duffus Kentucky Climber
14ers: 34 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Duffus Kentucky Climber »

Josh:

You and the SAR members deserve more praise and respect than our words allow. You have demonstrated why that is so.

Thank you for what you do. Count on our support at any time.

Jeff and Jan
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!
jeffro
14ers: 56 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jeffro »

As many have said, SAR personnel are true heroes!! A very sincere and heartfelt "THANKS!!" to all of you for what you did and continue to do. I do feel safer going to the mountains knowing you all are out there.

Caroline: We can all only hope to do as well as you did should we (god forbid) find ourselves in similar circumstances.

CONative: Your story of the rescue was way above the call of duty. I'm sure I speak for many of us in saying that it really helps us through these very hard times to read your very candid and detailed account of what happened up there. I sincerely hope it helped you to write it!

Jeff
Climb what you love and love what you climb!!
highmountaindrifter
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by highmountaindrifter »

wow... along with so many others here I never had the chance to meet TM. I can only pray for Him, his family and USAKeller. I always liked reading his trip reperts to see what kind of wild and crazy things he was up to. God Bless

Ryan
rlynn
14ers: 10 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by rlynn »

TalusMonkey's sister wrote: but please, don't anybody be offended because I haven't thanked you personally. I thank each and every one of you from the bottom of my heart, and cannot thank you enough. My brother would be so proud. Thank you all so much. You've made me feel so proud of David. I love him and will miss him forever. Again, thank you all for being such wonderful friends to David. God bless you.
To David's sister:
In no way should any of us expect you to thank us for what we've said. We meant it all from the bottom of our hearts because we wanted people to know our thoughts of David. If we expected this, this would be low and selfish of us. May God watch over you and your family.

Ryan
-Ryan
JimR
14ers: 56 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (8)

Post by JimR »

CO Native,

Thanks for the web page & account; it helps. And thanks even more for the heroic effort by you & the rest of the SARS team. We all appreciate it.
I have more age than experience, more experience than knowledge, and more knowledge than wisdom.
Yet somehow I usually make it back to the car safely; and oftentimes, so do the people that I'm with.
billyg0atgruff
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by billyg0atgruff »

Oh my. Unbelievable. I met David with the Culebra group last year, then again by happenstance coming down from Wetterhorn last summer. He was an extremely likeable person, even as little as I knew him. My prayers are with his friends and family.