Climber injured and stranded on Humboldt Peak

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
highaltmama
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by highaltmama »

I know how freely Talusmonkey and USAKeller have given information to the new kids on the block (of 14ers). It is extremely sad that Talusmonkey is gone. I wish I could do more to help the people/families involved and ease their pain.
CJWilson
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CJWilson »

Like several others I can't say anything that has not already been said. My prayers go out to not only TM's family and to USAKeller but also to CONative and the other SAR members who got TM off the mountain. We are all going to miss TM (even if most of us never actually met him). May God Bless TM's family, USAKeller and the SAR members.

Chris
cpittman
14ers: 48 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (4)

Post by cpittman »

TalusMonkey,

As I know you are reading this from a better place now: Thank you for sharing all your adventures with us at 14ers.com. I have lived vicariously through your postings for the last two years.

Thank you very, very much! Rest in peace David!
grizz
Trip Reports (0)

Post by grizz »

I'm a religious man, I only know TM from the pages of this forum, it's amazing how one person can impact so many people, with tears in my eyes, a different view on life, I will remeber TM's words.

Jason
Colorado Native
14ers4me
14ers: 10 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14ers4me »

CONative,
This rescue report did a number on me. They way you describe the Monkey raising his hand when he heard you yell and when he told you his name was Talus Monkey, that just goes to show that he was whitty till the end. I will forever remember TM and his loving kind hearted personality. It showed even through the forum. Thank you so much CONative and everyone else who helped out with his rescue. You guys obviously did an excellent job at getting him to where you needed too. He will be sorely missed for a long time to come. :cry:
Colorado-The only place beautiful enough to call home
AzScott
14ers: 58 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AzScott »

CO Native, thank you so much for that valiant effort. I thank you and any and all SAR members for the work you do.

Arizona is mourning with you: http://www.arizonahikers.com/board/view ... 6929#76929

Another example of how far David's friends spread.
acwilson
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by acwilson »

I've been sitting reading for the last three days, I'm still in shock and somewhat speechless.
Someone so full of life, and so much a part of all of our lives, is gone. It is truly hard to believe. He will be missed.
CONative's post really hit me hard. I've been able to sit and imagine the events and how they unfolded, but seeing them for real has thrown me for a loop.
I lost a friend several years ago in a very similar accident, and this unfortunate tragedy creates new wounds while opening up old ones.
My deepest sympathy goes to his family, Caroline, and his cats.
Annie
Erroneous
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Erroneous »

wow, like many people here, i never got the chance to meet him personally and now i never will... I loved reading his posts and looking at his pictures, i thank this site for giving me the privilege of knowing something about this eccentric, unique person and my thoughts and prays go out to all of you that knew him more personally. Perhaps this tragedy could bring us all together for a 14ers.com gathering in his memory, just an idea so that more of us could meet each other before something like this happens again. We are each unique but we all have something special in common and that doesn't happen too often.

Respectfully,
Aaron Coffeen
jimlup
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jimlup »

CO Native wrote:I have not posted anything on this thread until now, but I have read every single one. Search and Rescue thanks you for all of your prayers and support through all of this. I don't really know how to express myself right now other than to say I'm truly sorry we were unable to save him.

I have written a page with some of the photos I took on this mission. I did not take much time to edit it so I apologize if parts don't make sense. I just wanted to be able to put something out there to show the amount of effort put forth by so many people.

http://www.hikingintherockies.com/TM/talusmonkey.htm
Thanks CO Native ....

You are a real mountaineer - I deeply admire your work. Thanks for all you do. And thank you and your team for the amazing effort yesterday!
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...
Kane
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kane »

I hope nobody is offended by the following photo.

"Blood of Christ"-Sangre De Christo

TM-Rest in Peace

ColoradoGuy
14ers: 22 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ColoradoGuy »

Josh (CO Native) - Thank you so much for your efforts.
TalusMonkeys sister
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TalusMonkeys sister »

I'm David's sister in North Carolina. I've been reading all your posts and it lightens my heart to know how much you all loved and respected him. I can't thank you enough for being such good friends. He would be so proud to know how you all felt about him. I am 7 months pregnant, and having complications; and have a 15 month old, so I'm unable to come out. Our mom flew out today with David's best friend, and my husband will be coming in the next couple of days. I wish that I knew you all, and I wish that I could send each of you a personal Thank You for the kind things you've written about my brother. I'm blown away by all of your well-wishes for us; and by your sincere grief over the loss of David. Please accept my thanks on behalf of my family, and please feel free to contact me at my e-mail address. I especially want to thank Caroline for doing absolutely the most she could do, and Josh Friesema for allowing me to have a glimpse of the incredible efforts of the rescue mission; but please, don't anybody be offended because I haven't thanked you personally. I thank each and every one of you from the bottom of my heart, and cannot thank you enough. My brother would be so proud. Thank you all so much. You've made me feel so proud of David. I love him and will miss him forever. Again, thank you all for being such wonderful friends to David. God bless you.
Thank you all for loving my brother and being his friends. You all sound like amazing friends. I can't thank you enough. Holly Newsome