Climber injured and stranded on Humboldt Peak

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Devin
14ers: 41 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Devin »

Thanks for all of your efforts, Native.
kfordyce
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by kfordyce »

I, like so many others, have never met TM in person, but feel like I lost a member of the family. I have followed his posts and trip reports faithfully, living vicariously (in Florida) through his pursuits. Our prayers go out to TM, USAKeller, and TM's infinite number of friends. .....May he rest above the mountains he so loved.....
wasclywabbit
14ers: 33  3 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by wasclywabbit »

CONative,

Thank you for an incredible and heroic effort. After seeing the pictures you posted I am in awe that you and your fellow SARs team(s) would so selflessly put yourself in harms way to assist a climber in need.

There aren't words to fully express our grief for the loss of TalusMonkey, nor are there adequate words to express our thanks to you for your efforts to save him. I'm just glad that there are dedicated people like you who are willing to play a role in protecting all of us regardless of danger to yourself.

Thank you.
Darryl Dunlap
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Darryl Dunlap »

wasclywabbit wrote:CONative,

Thank you for an incredible and heroic effort. After seeing the pictures you posted I am in awe that you and your fellow SARs team(s) would so selflessly put yourself in harms way to assist a climber in need.

There aren't words to fully express our grief for the loss of TalusMonkey, nor are there adequate words to express our thanks to you for your efforts to save him. I'm just glad that there are dedicated people like you who are willing to play a role in protecting all of us regardless of danger to yourself.

Thank you.
My thoughts exactly. Thank you for your efforts and hard work....
"A great loss of a wonderful person clouds us tonight, Rest In Peace David...."
Dave Rud
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dave Rud »

CO Native, Thank You . Both You & SARS did A Great Job!
All Climbers are Greatful for your efforts.
Live for the moment!
HikeforTurns
14ers: 58 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (1)

Post by HikeforTurns »

Thanks for letting us all know what happened. You guys did a great job, sounds like some tough travel conditions, especially with all the gear. I truly respect the members of all SAR teams out there, you guys are great. I think I need to put in some time one of these days, Id like to give a little back too.

props!
mtnmike
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by mtnmike »

CONative -- I too wish to add my thanks to the list. I can't even find the words tonight....
mtnMike
http://www.fourteeners.org

"Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." - Ed Viesturs
elkheart22
14ers: 14 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (0)

Post by elkheart22 »

Co Native,

Thanks for posting the report.
What an awesome effort.....

I, like so many others, only knew Talus from chatting with him
on this forum.
What really gave me a lot of repect for Talus was,
no matter if you climbed all the 14ers, or one, he treated
everybody with a great deal of respect, and humor.

I sit @ this keyboard with a heavy heart, my condolences
to his & Carolines familys.

Tim...
Lakes below the mountains
Flow into the sea
Like oils applied to canvas,
They permeate through me. --- Jimmy Buffett
gsliva
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gsliva »

Thanks Josh. I have a raised glass of wine in tribute to you.

Again thanks for your devotion to saving others and giving them comfort.

Glenn Sliva
Live for the Climb and the search for commitment.
Skip Perkins
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Skip Perkins »

CoDave,
Thanks for sharing a very personal and professional endeavor.

I have been sharing many of the stories about David with my 5th grade class and explaining how many wonderful feelings have come out of a very tragic event. One of the 10 year old girls walked up to me with a tear in her eye and asked, "You aren't going to fall this summer, are you Mr. Perkins?" I told her, "Naw, I've got a Monkey watching over me."
Everyone have a safe and great climbing season.
CG_old
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CG_old »

CO Native wrote:I have not posted anything on this thread until now, but I have read every single one. Search and Rescue thanks you for all of your prayers and support through all of this. I don't really know how to express myself right now other than to say I'm truly sorry we were unable to save him.

I have written a page with some of the photos I took on this mission. I did not take much time to edit it so I apologize if parts don't make sense. I just wanted to be able to put something out there to show the amount of effort put forth by so many people.

http://www.hikingintherockies.com/TM/talusmonkey.htm
If I'm ever in bind, I sure hope you're on the team that is called out. The work you guys do is very difficult and very much appreciated!

- Chris
Spam
14ers: 15 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Spam »

Nothing else I can add that hasn't been siad. Thank you gentlemen for what you do so we can do what we like to do!
"Getting to the top is optional, getting down is mandatory." -- Ed Viesturs