Injury on La Plata

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Injury on La Plata

Post by mtree »

For what its worth, I learned not to use poles in talus, extreme steep, or crossing rocky segments where you need a lot of balance. They can get stuck between rocks too easily. If I use them consistently they become a crutch and I lose my natural sense of balance when I need it most. Now, I only use them on a solid path, snow, or backpacking.

Glad your friend is recovering nicely.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
rpdawes
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 41 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rpdawes »

Shaolin wrote:I'm not a fan of poles.
Wait until you are over 70 if you live that long. Poles certainly help the seniors maintain good balance, relieve the tired legs, and ease the stress on knees while descending.
Shaolin
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Shaolin »

rpdawes wrote:
Shaolin wrote:I'm not a fan of poles.
Wait until you are over 70 if you live that long. Poles certainly help the seniors maintain good balance, relieve the tired legs, and ease the stress on knees while descending.
I've been known to run down hills/mountains. Lot less stress on knees and not much thinking at all, just doing/reacting. Seems to work for me at 60+. Everyone is different, and what works for them.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Richard Derkase wrote:
mtree wrote:For what its worth, I learned not to use poles in talus, extreme steep, or crossing rocky segments where you need a lot of balance.
To each their own, but this is completely counter intuitive. Those are places where you really want to have poles, among others.

You just need to practice PLACEMENT while crossing this kind of terrain. Put the tips where they will hold in place instead of just stabbing them randomly.

Dick
Poles are only to relieve stress on the legs, occasionally assist in balance such as on scree/dirt or snow. Otherwise, I've been thrown off balance too many times by stuck poles. Easier without them. And I don't spend any time "thinking" about pole placement. My thought is, if I need to think, I shouldn't be using them.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
flatlander
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by flatlander »

Very happy to hear your hiking partner is okay. I took a terrible spill on La Plata years ago when I lost my footing on the downhill on the Southwest Ridge route. To this day I have a knot on my elbow from it.

Poles have become an absolute must for my knees. Without them I can barely walk after the descent. I never use the baskets or the straps.
Always remember, the mountains don't care.