Missing hikers in the area of Missouri/Oxford/Belford

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Derby Ale
14ers: 26 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Missing hikers in the area of Missouri/Oxford/Belford

Post by Derby Ale »

peter303 wrote:
Voshkm wrote:you are killing us here... I intend to take a group of teenagers on a Missbelox trip and would love to here what to avoid thank you
If you have to ask this, you should not.
Pretty much sums it up! Go scout the routes ahead of time if you're going to take kids and you're unsure of your abilities.
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

Derby Ale wrote:
peter303 wrote:
Voshkm wrote:you are killing us here... I intend to take a group of teenagers on a Missbelox trip and would love to here what to avoid thank you
Pretty much sums it up! Go scout the routes ahead of time if you're going to take kids and you're unsure of your abilities.
I will add my caution to you as well. What some of the others have stated already is totally correct. Although you have not revealed what kind of trip you are planning, how large a group you are taking, whether you are camping overnight or thinking about doing all 3 in one day, this would still be a serious trek and it sounds like you are undertaking an enormous responsibility on yourself. Unless you are very experienced and know and are completely confident in the abilities of everyone else in your group, this just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. All three of these peaks are fairly strenuous by themselves, and to add one or two more only increases the difficulty. Do you have a backup plan if one of your party gets altitude sickness or just poops out midway? The weather is much more variable now and sunlight much more limited. Please think your plans over carefully and thoroughly and have a safe trip!
JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JROSKA »

peter303 wrote:
I agree. And also, for two different responses to bug these people for a description of "what went wrong" is a bit disturbing. Sharing stuff like that is a personal decision, some people will, some won't. It's certainly not a responsibility, and it shouldn't be expected.
“Is there a thing of which it is said, ‘See, this is new’? It has been already in the ages before us. There is no remembrance of former things, nor will there be any remembrance of later things yet to be among those who come after.” - Ecclesiastes 1:10-11
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

Dex wrote:
scottda wrote: 4) DO NOT try and descend Missouri via the east ridge.

Is the east ridge rated a class 4?
It's rated sh*t loose and horrible...like broken dinner plates stacked on marbles with 400' cliffs below you.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

I'm glad you ladies made it down safely and everyone is okay. There are so many body recoveries each year that it's wonderful to hear of a successful rescue. If you sustained any injuries, I wish a quick and full recovery.
JROSKA wrote:I agree. And also, for two different responses to bug these people for a description of "what went wrong" is a bit disturbing. Sharing stuff like that is a personal decision, some people will, some won't. It's certainly not a responsibility, and it shouldn't be expected.
Yes. These people have just had a traumatic experience in the mountains. Let's give them some support as they figure things out. I hope in the future they will share their experience with the forum but if they choose to move on with their lives, we need to respect that.
pdenman33
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pdenman33 »

Damn i feel kinda bad. I was out on Missouri that day and turned back 500ft from the saddle because the clouds were rolling in strong. A hiker coming off the saddle told me about two girls with dogs on the ridge and I could see them making their way towards the saddle at about 2pm as the storm started up. Perhaps in the future I'll start making sure all parties make it back to the trail head before going on my way. Glad they are safe!
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

pdenman33 wrote:Perhaps in the future I'll start making sure all parties make it back to the trail head before going on my way.
Nice thought, but not realistic.
You are assuming they will be returning the same way and have no other plans.
Even if bad weather hits, it doesn't mean they will head back to the TH. They could wait it out.

Glad they and the dogs are safe. Missouri can be a bad peak if you go the wrong way.
JQ
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

pdenman33 wrote:Perhaps in the future I'll start making sure all parties make it back to the trail head before going on my way. Glad they are safe!
That may just be a variant of survivor's guilt talking. As the previous post says, it's just not practical.

If you're serious about that attitude, I have a better suggestion than waiting at the trailhead: contact your local search and rescue team and find out what all is involved in joining up. Being a mountain superman is not required. If you can take care of yourself at a basic level in the backcounty, they will generally teach you everything else you will need to know.

Then you'll get called when someone actually (or likely) needs help, get a good feeling about giving back to the community in a positive way, and won't waste your own time sitting around "just in case."
pdenman33
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pdenman33 »

Doug Shaw wrote:
pdenman33 wrote:Perhaps in the future I'll start making sure all parties make it back to the trail head before going on my way. Glad they are safe!
That may just be a variant of survivor's guilt talking. As the previous post says, it's just not practical.

If you're serious about that attitude, I have a better suggestion than waiting at the trailhead: contact your local search and rescue team and find out what all is involved in joining up. Being a mountain superman is not required. If you can take care of yourself at a basic level in the backcounty, they will generally teach you everything else you will need to know.

Then you'll get called when someone actually (or likely) needs help, get a good feeling about giving back to the community in a positive way, and won't waste your own time sitting around "just in case."

truth. will do
Colorado dreaming
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Colorado dreaming »

I am glad they were found, safe and sound! It sounds like they got lost and/or hit with bad weather and had to spend a night. Thanks SAR!

It reinforces, for me, to always be prepared to spend a night, with some extra food, water and shelter (such as a tarp and/or SOL Escape Bivy - weighing only about 5-6 oz) on any day hike in the mountains. The 10 essentials!
scottda
14ers: 25  2 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (3)

Post by scottda »

peter303 wrote:
This is a very good point! And many other good points made in previous posts in this thread.
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." ~ Edward Abbey

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" ~ Edward Abbey

flickr
mcquentin
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by mcquentin »

Good for you for asking and conducting your due diligence in your trip planning! Knowledge and awareness are great tools to have. I am sure you and your teenagers will have a blast.

Shame on those of you for the negative responses. I have no doubt he will plan an awesome and safe trip.

FYI, I hiked into the gulch and camped the evening before. The next day it took from dawn to dark to climb all three and return to camp... but wasted 2 hours on Missouri's east ridge before aborting that folly. Not recommended. All three from the TH would be a physical demand, but you could do it with an early start, good weather and if your group is fit. Otherwise, others' recommendations to break it up into a couple of days is good advice.

Have fun!

Glad the two gals and their dogs are all right.