Outward Bound Couloir Rescue - Sunday 9/13/15

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Outward Bound Couloir Rescue - Sunday 9/13/15

Post by XterraRob »

spadflyer12 wrote:So from what I understand you ended up descending Cole's Couloir aka the South Gully or South Couloir off of KC down toward Spanish Creek?

Considering how many people seem to miss the avenue descending off of KC maybe it's time to put up a sign...

Glad both of you are alive, hope Alex has a speedy recovery.
That's what I was thinking from their description. Even with GPS I did a double take at that section when heading back down Kit Carson because I thought I had to keep descending. A sign may not be necessary but just better awareness for the turn off, it's a tricky one!
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
fahixson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by fahixson »

Thanks for sharing your story. I wonder if we saw you Saturday afternoon. We hiked KC/Chall as a day trip and were heading back to the TH in the late afternoon.

You're definitely not the first and probably won't be the last to miss that turn to the Avenue coming off KC. As we headed up the final pitch to KC Saturday morning we could hear a lot of yelling from way below the Avenue, but couldn't understand what was being said. Turns out a group of three missed the turnoff and were trying to make their way back up (they eventually did and returned via the standard route). Another fellow we met on the trail had ascended KC North Ridge the previous week in a group of three, but missed the turn-off as they intended to return to Willow Lake via KC Ave and Challenger. They ended up hiking all the way down and out Spanish Creek approach, eventually finding a ride back to Willow Lake.
LoveThisSite wrote:FWIW, when I climbed KC, I took a class 3 gully (both up and down) that started earlier in the Avenue. This not only saved me time and distance, it also meant there was no way I could miss the Avenue coming back. For people comfortable with class 3, I'd recommend this option.
We also chose this option. There's a cairn on the left marking the spot we turned that comes up before you descend all the way down the Avenue to the standard turn up. I found it to be Easy Class 3 and probably faster/easier than continuing on down and starting up there. It was solid and a welcomed relief after that North Slope ascent on Challenger. The best part is that when you come down, you hit a clearly defined trail, and it would be almost impossible to descend past it and miss the Avenue from that point. Looking down to the standard turn though, it's easy to see how people miss it as the trail sorta peters out.

Would it be worth mentioning this alternative, early turn off the Avenue in the route description?

Again, thanks for sharing and great job keeping your wits in a stressful/terrifying situation. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
spadflyer12
14ers: 19  1 
13ers: 7 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by spadflyer12 »

XterraRob wrote:
spadflyer12 wrote:So from what I understand you ended up descending Cole's Couloir aka the South Gully or South Couloir off of KC down toward Spanish Creek?

Considering how many people seem to miss the avenue descending off of KC maybe it's time to put up a sign...

That's what I was thinking from their description. Even with GPS I did a double take at that section when heading back down Kit Carson because I thought I had to keep descending. A sign may not be necessary but just better awareness for the turn off, it's a tricky one!

I would agree, but this is the second incident in the last 4 weeks that I know of where SAR has been called out because someone missed the turn onto KC Avenue. I know there is a sign in the Kirk? Couloir, between Challenger Point and Kit Carson that tells hikers to not descend that way. Hell, I've been up there 5 times now and I have trouble spotting the turn off if I stray too far toward Columbia. I missed it a couple of weeks ago after doing the N Ridge but only got about 50' down that gully before I realized my mistake. The main reason I realized my mistake was because I have descended that gully twice to get back to Spanish Creek after climbing the Prow.
shizupple
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by shizupple »

Jay521 wrote:
Tornadoman wrote:Alex must be tough as nails to continue moving down the mountain with both arms broken and a serious head and lung injuries!
I was thinking the same thing. Hang on to that girl. She is definitely a keeper.
She's got some serious determination and one tough girl! Can't believe how well she did given the situation. I kept telling her how great she was doing coming down in such bad shape. She was on her hands and feet towards the beginning of our ascent. Talk about roughing it.
shizupple
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by shizupple »

XterraRob wrote:

Yep that's what happened. We knew that we needed to stay right, so we got off of the South Gully trail even further. Not a good situation.
fahixson wrote:Another fellow we met on the trail had ascended KC North Ridge the previous week in a group of three, but missed the turn-off as they intended to return to Willow Lake via KC Ave and Challenger. They ended up hiking all the way down and out Spanish Creek approach, eventually finding a ride back to Willow Lake.
This is what Alex wanted to do... Would have definitely been the safer decision. Live and learn. I can't beat myself up over it or I'll never be able to get back on the mountain. Many lessons learned.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Part of the problem is that the Avenue is less-defined in that lower area. Also, on the descent, if you're a bit to the left it's more difficult to see the Avenue off to the right.

As fahixson and LoveThisSite mentioned, there is the early, slightly more-difficult option as seen in the last route description photo, I'll take a look at my old photos to see if I have another one that I could include in the route description to show this variation:

http://www.14ers.com/photos/kitcarsongr ... ar_225.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

That alternate route isn't too bad ascending, but tougher descending, right?
please rotate your device
snowypeaks
Trip Reports (0)

Post by snowypeaks »

shizupple wrote: So many lessons learned on this day....
Thanks for sharing your harrowing story and it's really fortunate that you're both relatively unscathed. I'm just curious, what would you say were your top 3 lessons learned?

Best wishes on your future climbs.

-bob
knb705
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by knb705 »

The earlier alternative route that was mentioned is a little steeper, but it has less loose rock. I thought it was an easier descent when we did it last month.

I'm so glad you both made it out alive; hopefully Alex has a speedy recovery!
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

And I'm so happy you two are OK! Scary stuff
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
fahixson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by fahixson »

Hungry Jack wrote:That alternate route isn't too bad ascending, but tougher descending, right?
There may be multiple alternates, but the route we went up and down was barely Class 3. So, I did not find it tough to descend. I found it less steep than Needle gullies, Wetterhorn, etc.
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

fahixson wrote:
Hungry Jack wrote:That alternate route isn't too bad ascending, but tougher descending, right?
There may be multiple alternates, but the route we went up and down was barely Class 3. So, I did not find it tough to descend. I found it less steep than Needle gullies, Wetterhorn, etc.
I had the impression it was class 4ish.

I hope to do KC via the north ridge someday, but I am more nervous about missing the Avenue on the standard descent.
please rotate your device