Rockslide Mt Princeton

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Rockslide Mt Princeton

Post by TaylorHolt »

This one is very difficult to hear about. For those of us who spend many hours in the backcountry on difficult/technical peaks, we knowingly accept the risks that are associated with these trips. Agnes Vaille Falls is not one of those trips, and I imagine these victims never even considered such an accident was possible on a short, casual, hike like this (I know I wouldn't). A sad reminder that "geologic time is now."

My sincerest condolences to the families of the victims and a speedy recovery to the survivors.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Gene and Mark and now this... A sad couple weeks in the hills. :cry:
rking007
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 19 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rking007 »

So tragic... Praying for support, strength, and a full recovery for the surviving girl and friends and family members. :cry:
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

Ugh. This is gut-wrenching horrendous and offering condolences in a situation as tragic as this feels almost empty.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
Upwardlybound
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Upwardlybound »

Tragic story. My heart gooes out to all involved.
"He who forms the mountains, creates the wind, and reveals His thoughts to men, He who turns dawn to darkness, and treads the high places of the earth -- the Lord God Almighty is His name." Amos 4:13
Shawnee Bob
14ers: 22 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Shawnee Bob »

This one made my heart sink. I know we've all heard rockfall high up. Maybe even had some close calls, but not on a trail like this. Blessings and peace to the folks these poor souls left behind.
Because life's too short to be an indoor cat.

http://proactiveoutside.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MountainMedic
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MountainMedic »

This is terrible. I am speechless - there seem to have been a ton of terrible rockslides over the past couple summers. I hope the girl recovers well - I'll see what I can figure out at work.
Hiker Mike
14ers: 30 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Hiker Mike »

Wow..I never would of thought of anything like that happening at the falls. That is so sad. My girlfriend and I were just up there about three months ago. Lots of people at the falls that day including a couple getting married plus their family and friends.

My condolences.
"Just because you love the mountains doesn't mean the mountains love you."
-Lou Whittaker
bigredmachine
14ers: 58 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bigredmachine »

recent update on victims involved...

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ ... il-chaffee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
salty
14ers: 49 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by salty »

With the rain we've had across CO and freezing temps beginning it would pay to be alert and vigilant on any trail in steep terrain.
SpringsHiker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (1)

Post by SpringsHiker »

So sad. Condolences to the family and prayers especially for the young girl whose family members were caught in this terrible event.
"I am not a fizzy yellow beer drinking ninny!"
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

I'm heart broken for that young girl....

Words cannot express how sorry I am for this tragic event....
Last edited by IHikeLikeAGirl on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright