Fatality near upper Fay Lakes Basin

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Re: Fatality near upper Fay Lakes Basin

Post by Steve Climber »

Just reading the CAIC report on this incident. Sounds like a laundry list of things must have gone wrong (avalanche was only part of the equation), and they made the best decision(s) they could to get down. RIP again to David and best of luck with the recovery to Lisa.

https://avalanche.state.co.us/acc/acc_r ... &accfm=inv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

unclegar wrote:
madbuck wrote:Just pointed out her excellent guidebook to my wife at Kind Coffee in Estes again yesterday, hinting at it as a birthday present.
As of yesterday, Kind Coffee was selling the book with all proceeds going to the victim's family. I have borrowed the book from the library numerous times in the past, but now have my own copy.
Thanks for the update, ended up back there again and picked one up.

And holy cow, what a tough ordeal and best regards for both families, and also great work by SAR.
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jsdratm »

That CAIC report spins a rather harrowing tale. Spending several days in those conditions would not be fun.