Lost Hiker on Mt Holy Cross

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Magellan
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Lost Hiker on Mt Holy Cross

Post by Magellan »

Washington hiker here. Does SAR really let people walk up and join the search? I'm not SAR but I think SAR and the Sheriff would turn away anyone who wasn't part of a certified SAR group.
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

Magellan wrote:Washington hiker here. Does SAR really let people walk up and join the search? I'm not SAR but I think SAR and the Sheriff would turn away anyone who wasn't part of a certified SAR group.
On Ellingwood Point earlier this year, the SAR team actively recruited many hikers in the area to assist in the rescue, so I think it does happen more often than not. We even gave some SAR guys a ride down to the lake in our jeep.
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

mattpayne11 wrote:
Magellan wrote:Washington hiker here. Does SAR really let people walk up and join the search? I'm not SAR but I think SAR and the Sheriff would turn away anyone who wasn't part of a certified SAR group.
On Ellingwood Point earlier this year, the SAR team actively recruited many hikers in the area to assist in the rescue, so I think it does happen more often than not. We even gave some SAR guys a ride down to the lake in our jeep.
Not to suggest that it doesn't happen (because obviously it does), but I'd probably disagree with the assertion that this sort of thing happens "more often than not." In most cases where SAR recruits or permits outside assistance it's going to be in situations where people already on-scene have been rendering aid before SAR arrived.

There are cases where people will show up and assist with SAR activities. Sometimes it's sanctioned, sometimes it's not. One of the most significant examples I can think of was the Michelle Vanek search some years ago (also on Holy Cross), where VMR (Vail Mountain Rescue) actively recruited and solicited people from the area and climbing community to assist in the search on the last few days, simply in the interests of being able muster a large amount of manpower.

There are other cases that may receive news coverage or other visibility where people may take it upon themselves to assist regardless of whether their help is wanted or needed. In some cases this can adversely affect the organized SAR activities (you are out looking for a missing party and a bunch of complete strangers are out running around the search area, leaving unknown tracks or clues that may distract or confuse searchers). As a result, uninvited assistance may be frowned upon by incident commanders from the SAR organizations, but they only have a couple options: use them, or coerce them to prevent their involvement. In some cases the ICs may opt to deploy joint teams comprised of trained and untrained personnel to get the best of both worlds - additional manpower, but deployed in a controlled and managed fashion.
MC.Ikema
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 171 3 11
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Search for hiker on Holy Cross

Post by MC.Ikema »

Kapelmuur wrote:The Bermuda Triangle strikes again.
What exactly is the nature of this Holy Cross Triangle? Do a lot of people just get lost and require SAR or do a legitimate ammount of people vanish without a trace? I know when I climbed Holy Cross this summer I came down off the ridge way too early (after losing the trail) and had to wander around the trees until I found the trail!
benners
14ers: 58  51  21 
13ers: 559 84 26
Trip Reports (110)

Re: Search for hiker on Holy Cross

Post by benners »

MC.Ikema wrote:
Kapelmuur wrote:The Bermuda Triangle strikes again.
What exactly is the nature of this Holy Cross Triangle? I know when I climbed Holy Cross this summer I came down off the ridge way too early (after losing the trail) and had to wander around the trees until I found the trail!
This is the same mistake a lot of people have made on Holy Cross. Reading over the records of search and rescues on Holy Cross over the last few decades it seems that most parties make their mistake when descending the North Ridge. For some reason people are tempted to leave the ridge too early and end up one drainage over from Cross Creek in the Reeds Meadow area. I've never really understood how this same routefinding error has happened so many times, but it has. It doesn't sound like James made this mistake though, I hope he makes it out alright.
Hunter
14ers: 35 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Hunter »

Another fine example of the selfless acts of kindness and dedication from S&R. Thank you.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

Doug Shaw wrote:
mattpayne11 wrote:
Not to suggest that it doesn't happen (because obviously it does), but I'd probably disagree with the assertion that this sort of thing happens "more often than not." In most cases where SAR recruits or permits outside assistance it's going to be in situations where people already on-scene have been rendering aid before SAR arrived.

There are cases where people will show up and assist with SAR activities. Sometimes it's sanctioned, sometimes it's not. One of the most significant examples I can think of was the Michelle Vanek search some years ago (also on Holy Cross), where VMR (Vail Mountain Rescue) actively recruited and solicited people from the area and climbing community to assist in the search on the last few days, simply in the interests of being able muster a large amount of manpower.

There are other cases that may receive news coverage or other visibility where people may take it upon themselves to assist regardless of whether their help is wanted or needed. In some cases this can adversely affect the organized SAR activities (you are out looking for a missing party and a bunch of complete strangers are out running around the search area, leaving unknown tracks or clues that may distract or confuse searchers). As a result, uninvited assistance may be frowned upon by incident commanders from the SAR organizations, but they only have a couple options: use them, or coerce them to prevent their involvement. In some cases the ICs may opt to deploy joint teams comprised of trained and untrained personnel to get the best of both worlds - additional manpower, but deployed in a controlled and managed fashion.
Thanks for clarifying - it makes perfect sense.
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

The last statement in the article is poorly phrased. When CSRB is requesting additional assistance it doesn't mean they are asking for anyone but that they are contacting other counties to provide additional resources. CSRB is an entity that helps rescue teams statewide coordinate assistance. If Eagle County SAR needs more searchers, they don't just call neighboring counties they call CSRB who takes care of that for them. CSRB also takes care of contacting CAP and the military to request air assistance. No rescue team is large enough to handle multi-day searches in such a large area so they play a critical role in bringing together the resources necessary.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
tmahon
14ers: 58  57  6 
13ers: 206 102
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tmahon »

lindsey_b wrote:Does anyone have any updates on the search for James? I knew him when I lived in Chicago form his backpacking club and just heard about him missing last night.
From this morning, http://www.aspentimes.com/article/20101 ... ofile=1058" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hberry
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hberry »

tmahon wrote:
lindsey_b wrote:Does anyone have any updates on the search for James? I knew him when I lived in Chicago form his backpacking club and just heard about him missing last night.
From this morning, http://www.aspentimes.com/article/20101 ... ofile=1058" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is a link to an Aspen Snowmass ski article...
hberry
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hberry »

Correct link: http://www.aspentimes.com/article/20101 ... ofile=1058" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

According to the article: "Nelson had planned to start at Half Moon campground, follow Fall Creek Trail past Lake Constantine, over Fall Creek Pass and past Holy Cross City, Smith said. Nelson then planned to hike Fancy Pass Trail over Fancy Pass and continue downstream along Cross Creek Trail. Nelson had intended to hike up East Cross Creek, then follow Half Moon Pass trail back to the parking lot."

Pretty rugged trail-less area up East Cross Creek from the Cross Creek trail to the Half Moon trail. :(
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"