Death on El Diente

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
robby40
14ers: 6 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Death on El Diente

Post by robby40 »

Online newspaper story with photos. It is so sad. So very, very sad...

http://www.telluridewatch.com/view/full ... =top_story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Girlslovesnow
14ers: 5  2 
13ers: 4 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Girlslovesnow »

The comment below the article also says Oof was adopted
"I wish people would quit telling me I can do anything I want. I never thought I couldn't"
cbauer10
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cbauer10 »

Girlslovesnow wrote:The comment below the article also says Oof was adopted
That is great to hear. A little bit of good news in this tragedy.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

This is extremely weird... Last summer, I believe we found Oof (same name, looks the same in the pictures, albeit older) wandering along the trail to Massive. We had no idea where he came from and he followed us back to our car with his doggy pack on. We had no idea where he came from and, after searching for his owner, we ended up bringing him back to Denver and returning him through a round-about way. I'm glad to hear somebody adopted him; he was a great dog and I would have gladly taken him if he didn't find another place
Last edited by Monster5 on Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

...a 30-year-old man was killed in a massive rockslide there.
Helmet or not, there was nothing this man could have done. It's part of the dangers of mountaineering that we all accept when we set foot on the mountains.
mtndude3737
14ers: 58 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mtndude3737 »

Barry Raven wrote:
Jim Davies wrote:
Barry Raven wrote:The couple that were on the Crestones were not climbing the mountain intentionally in the rain. They were caught by surprise.
In fact, the rainstorm happened after their accident. They were probably hit by rockfall while bailing off their route early.
They were buried by a huge mud/rockslide caused by the heavy rains, so no, the accident happened during the rainfall.
Thanks for the correction of the correction. I live near the Wilsons, and there was a large amount of rain during the time of the first death there this year. It may not have been raining at the time of the accident, but all steep, loose, rocky terrain becomes more unstable during or after rain storms. Again, I am just sending out cautions to everyone to be wary of dangerous conditions. May we all tread a little more lightly and carefully in honor of the those that have died in the mountains.
What is there, beyond the mountain, if not the man? - Walter Bonatti

The simpler you make things, the richer the experience becomes. - Steve House
cbauer10
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cbauer10 »

mtndude3737 wrote:Thanks for the correction of the correction. I live near the Wilsons, and there was a large amount of rain during the time of the first death there this year. It may not have been raining at the time of the accident, but all steep, loose, rocky terrain becomes more unstable during or after rain storms. Again, I am just sending out cautions to everyone to be wary of dangerous conditions. May we all tread a little more lightly and carefully in honor of the those that have died in the mountains.
We abandoned our plans the week after all of this rain as we sat at the bottom of the N. Buttress on El Diente because of the moisture. The ground was too unstable and we were able to hear rock fall at 5:00 am as we were deciding. We only got Wilson Peak on that trip even though we had planned on all three.
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Seeing a picture sure makes it even more keenly troubling. Thanks for posting. Looks like another person I would have liked to have known. RIP.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
WillV
14ers: 52  4 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WillV »

BAUMGARA wrote:
lordhelmut wrote: That mountain is not one I plan to repeat without snow on it and this confirms it.
What he said, snow climb.
Forgive me for my lack of winter climbing knowledge, but how is it that a snow climb would make it safer?

-Thanks
Vinegaroon
14ers: 34 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Vinegaroon »

Blessings on his wife and family... Good looking pup - glad to hear he will find a good home.
It doesn't have to be fun to be fun...
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

WillV wrote:
BAUMGARA wrote:
lordhelmut wrote: That mountain is not one I plan to repeat without snow on it and this confirms it.
What he said, snow climb.
Forgive me for my lack of winter climbing knowledge, but how is it that a snow climb would make it safer?

-Thanks
I think it's because you are less likely to get heat stroke. :P
JB99
14ers: 41 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (21)

Post by JB99 »

WillV wrote:

-Thanks
Sometimes snow covers dangerous features like loose rock and allows safer travel, generally on spring or early summer snow that tends to be more stable than winter snow.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."