Less than 1% chance for survival

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
User avatar
robnrhea
Posts: 5
Joined: 10/29/2012
14er Checklist Not Entered

Less than 1% chance for survival

Postby robnrhea » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:31 am

An incredible story on the front of the Denver Post today. Amazing survival and rescue
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_22909077/colorado-skier-felt-life-fading-during-3-hours
User avatar
colokeith
Posts: 485
Joined: 1/3/2011
14er Checklist (30)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (31)
Contact:

Re: Less than 1% chance for survival

Postby colokeith » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:33 am

crazy!! thanks for sharing
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson
User avatar
chrismjx
Posts: 230
Joined: 6/25/2011
14er Checklist (7)

Re: Less than 1% chance for survival

Postby chrismjx » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:31 pm

Amazing. 3 hours is insane. One of my biggest fears right there...
User avatar
jeremy27
Posts: 146
Joined: 11/3/2008
14er Checklist (36)
14ers in Winter (3)
13er Checklist (67)

Re: Less than 1% chance for survival

Postby jeremy27 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:22 am

So it sounds like the fact that his AvaLung mouth-piece was in his breathing space made the difference. Did anyone else get that impression? Is that plausible?
User avatar
Jim Davies
Posts: 7863
Joined: 6/8/2006
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (61)

Re: Less than 1% chance for survival

Postby Jim Davies » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:57 am

That's the impression I got. Also his body temperature was 72 degrees when he got to the hospital. Near-drowning victims have survived 40 minutes submerged in cold water, so that might have helped.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
User avatar
Steve Climber
Posts: 902
Joined: 12/31/2007
14er Checklist (27)
14ers in Winter (3)
13er Checklist (25)

Re: Less than 1% chance for survival

Postby Steve Climber » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:23 am

Jim Davies wrote:That's the impression I got. Also his body temperature was 72 degrees when he got to the hospital. Near-drowning victims have survived 40 minutes submerged in cold water, so that might have helped.


Cooler body temp = slower heart rate = slower breathing and less use of O2?
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.


Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
climbingaggie03
Posts: 178
Joined: 1/31/2008
14er Checklist (5)

Re: Less than 1% chance for survival

Postby climbingaggie03 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:41 am

aboynamedmargrette wrote:
Jim Davies wrote:That's the impression I got. Also his body temperature was 72 degrees when he got to the hospital. Near-drowning victims have survived 40 minutes submerged in cold water, so that might have helped.


Cooler body temp = slower heart rate = slower breathing and less use of O2?


that's the basic idea, the cooler temp reduces the body and cells metabolism which decreases consumption of O2 and also decreases the output of wastes that build up and become toxic, like CO2 ect
User avatar
Steve Climber
Posts: 902
Joined: 12/31/2007
14er Checklist (27)
14ers in Winter (3)
13er Checklist (25)

Re: Less than 1% chance for survival

Postby Steve Climber » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:26 am

climbingaggie03 wrote:
aboynamedmargrette wrote:
Jim Davies wrote:That's the impression I got. Also his body temperature was 72 degrees when he got to the hospital. Near-drowning victims have survived 40 minutes submerged in cold water, so that might have helped.


Cooler body temp = slower heart rate = slower breathing and less use of O2?


that's the basic idea, the cooler temp reduces the body and cells metabolism which decreases consumption of O2 and also decreases the output of wastes that build up and become toxic, like CO2 ect


wow. slowly freezing to death may have played a part in saving his life...who'dathunk? :wft:
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.


Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
User avatar
screeman57
Posts: 444
Joined: 6/19/2012
14er Checklist (55)
14ers in Winter (6)
13er Checklist (55)

Re: Less than 1% chance for survival

Postby screeman57 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:17 am

Jeez--I hope if I'm ever slowly dying I also slowly freeze to death, and thus eventually survive.
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold
User avatar
Steve Climber
Posts: 902
Joined: 12/31/2007
14er Checklist (27)
14ers in Winter (3)
13er Checklist (25)

Re: Less than 1% chance for survival

Postby Steve Climber » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:24 am

screeman57 wrote:Jeez--I hope if I'm ever slowly dying I also slowly freeze to death, and thus eventually survive.


+1
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.


Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
climbingaggie03
Posts: 178
Joined: 1/31/2008
14er Checklist (5)

Re: Less than 1% chance for survival

Postby climbingaggie03 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:00 am

yeah, I suppose there are worse ways to go, the best part is that it's believed towards the end you start to feel warm, people that have died from hypothermia are often found in various states of undress fueling the theory that victims start to feel hot and think they need to cool off. Also you tend to not think very clearly when you're hypothermic so I kind of think that you may not realize the end is near which I think sounds nice.
User avatar
Steve Climber
Posts: 902
Joined: 12/31/2007
14er Checklist (27)
14ers in Winter (3)
13er Checklist (25)

Re: Less than 1% chance for survival

Postby Steve Climber » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:30 am

climbingaggie03 wrote:yeah, I suppose there are worse ways to go, the best part is that it's believed towards the end you start to feel warm, people that have died from hypothermia are often found in various states of undress fueling the theory that victims start to feel hot and think they need to cool off. Also you tend to not think very clearly when you're hypothermic so I kind of think that you may not realize the end is near which I think sounds nice.


This article was posted on here a while back. At the risk of picking the lowest hanging pun-fruit, it's a...ahem...chilling account. Definitely worth a read.

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/As-Freezing-Persons-Recollect-the-Snow--First-Chill--Then-Stupor--Then-the-Letting-Go.html
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.


Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Return to “Climbing Accidents: Info, Analysis and Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests