suggestions for spring ski routes with 6 and 10 year old

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
eyost11
14ers: 43  2 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Re: suggestions for spring ski routes with 6 and 10 year old

Post by eyost11 »

http://www.summitdaily.com/news/2177832 ... copper-and" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Loveland also.
Monarch as well
pfiore1
14ers: 58  38  18 
13ers: 183 43 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pfiore1 »

Erik2 wrote:Do any resorts allow uphill access after they close for the season? I'm betting not, but if any happen to allow it that's a good idea for a low risk way to see how kids do.
As I stated in a previous post, Monarch Mountain doesn't care, I've been split-boarding it for over a decade every spring after their closing date without any issues, even with employees present and watching. I used to work there, I know the owners and employees, and other public skiers have been up there as well after closing day. Just be sure to park outside of the main entrance gate as it closes and is locked around 4pm and you don't want to be locked in. I believe each ski area has their own policies regarding public access to USFS land that is technically public but still under a lease from the ski area, some are more lax than others, some consider it a liability issue, trespassing or snobbery. I would go with the small liberal ski areas such as Monarch, Ski Cooper, etc. but probably not the big ones, Vail, Beaver Creek, Copper, Aspen, etc. Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this, I have a lot of experience split-boarding ski areas after closing dates.
Dissent Is Patriotic

Support your local Search and Rescue agency. Be safe and respect your wilderness.

Custer County Search and Rescue, Inc... https://www.custersar.org

Custer County SAR Facebook... https://www.facebook.com/CusterSAR/?fref=photo

Colorado Search and Rescue... https://coloradosar.org

CORSAR Fund... https://cdola.colorado.gov/funding-prog ... escue-fund
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

bergsteigen wrote:Last year I skinned up Eldora the weekend after it closed.
I thought that, even after closing day, uphill access at Eldora wasn't allowed? Because they are terrible-terrible people...
Double Oh Seven wrote: Loveland normally does. Last year we had good runs on Memorial Day. They closed uphilll access around June 1 I think.
Didn't Loveland close uphill access earlier last year to start prepping for the construction of the Ptarmigan lift? Eitherway, +1 to skinning Loveland, I had a couple of really good days up there last year after closing day.
Make wilderness less accessible.
Urban Snowshoer
14ers: 42  3  2 
13ers: 20 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Urban Snowshoer »

Dave B wrote:
I thought that, even after closing day, uphill access at Eldora wasn't allowed? Because they are terrible-terrible people...
Double Oh Seven wrote: Loveland normally does. Last year we had good runs on Memorial Day. They closed uphilll access around June 1 I think.
Didn't Loveland close uphill access earlier last year to start prepping for the construction of the Ptarmigan lift? Eitherway, +1 to skinning Loveland, I had a couple of really good days up there last year after closing day.
Loveland is one of the more laid back resorts when it comes to uphill access--they require pass to do it while the resort is open; however, the pass is free. I was last up there about a a week ago and had a good day. I've also been up there after the seasonal closure and they don't really seem to care.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Dave B wrote:
I don't know if they allow it, but a whole bunch of us did it last year. I was going to go today, but just didn't want to risk it. So I went to East Portal of Moffat Tunnel. Long approach (2.6mi) before you even start to get to the good stuff. So probably not good for 2 young boys. Overall 8 miles and ~2K for some nice powder.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
Urban Snowshoer
14ers: 42  3  2 
13ers: 20 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Urban Snowshoer »

bergsteigen wrote:
Dave B wrote:
I don't know if they allow it, but a whole bunch of us did it last year. I was going to go today, but just didn't want to risk it. So I went to East Portal of Moffat Tunnel. Long approach (2.6mi) before you even start to get to the good stuff. So probably not good for 2 young boys. Overall 8 miles and ~2K for some nice powder.
The philisophical question I've always had is: if it isn't windy at East Portal, are you really at East Portal? ;)

You don't mention which drainage you went up, though I'm wondering if it was Heart Lake--it's a long approach but pretty nonetheless. Arapaho Lakes is a bit shorter of an approach and still has good skiing.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Urban Snowshoer wrote: The philisophical question I've always had is: if it isn't windy at East Portal, are you really at East Portal? ;)

You don't mention which drainage you went up, though I'm wondering if it was Heart Lake--it's a long approach but pretty nonetheless. Arapaho Lakes is a bit shorter of an approach and still has good skiing.
I have always gone to Arapaho Lakes. I've done hikes/snowshoed to the other lakes, but never skied. When I was getting into BC skiing, the Avy danger was glaring red and dangerous, and Arapaho lakes is the safest place my partners or I knew (other than Allenspark). Looking back on my photos, only the first 2 times I went there (2012), did I actually have good weather or see anything.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
mountainute
14ers: 42  1  5 
13ers: 16 1 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountainute »

Hey Erik2,

one key note to consider is: it is a good idea to have 2 experienced adults on the trip, if you plan on bringing 2 kids.
My daughter skied real peaks in the Sierra Nevada at age 6 (including ascending, of course), but its good to have another adult to be able to turn around with the younger kid (then 1 year old) when the weather turns sour or even windy.
It is *a lot* harder to mountaineer as the sole adult with two children.
It is not simply the child's ability or drive that matters.

Good luck, mountainute