Equipment suggestions for backcountry beginners

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
llamaman
14er Checklist (9)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (11)

Re: Equipment suggestions for backcountry beginners

Postby llamaman » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:41 am

louguy231 wrote:I have never skied before and really have no desire to do any downhill stuff especially in Colorado. I am a climber and have summited several of the 14ers so I know the terrain is nothing to underestimate or disrespect. I am wanting to cross country ski more for the workout and to get out and away from Denver. I was thinking of doing this either on a trail or on the road leading up from Bakerville. I do not want to break treeline and really just want the workout and to get into the alpine and altitude to train for the coming summer season of climbling. I was wanting some recommendations on skis/boots and if this area that I am talking about is no good do you have an alterative around the Denver area that is not crowded. My ideal place to do this would be a road that is not plowed during winter and has a realtively flat grade. I appreciate any guidance and I will have my shovel,avy beacon and avy lung with me. Not taking any chances just wanting to get out and enjoy the winter.
Thanks,
Shawn

Well I ended up going with a waxless tele/XCD set up. Madshus Epoch (99/68/84) with 3pin cable bindings and leather boots. I made add a pair of Garmont Excursions (plastic boots) later. I think that'll be a good balance between touring and learning to turn. If not, I"ll buy more skis : ) First test run tomorrow.

Shawn--there are a lot of skis/bindings that would work for your purposes. Pretty much anything in the backcountry XC category, 3pin bindings or NNN/SNS bindings, and a stiff fabric or leather boot. Backcountry.com has a wide selection. I'm thinking of upgrading my XC gear and I am most interested in Madshus Glittertind skis. I would use a 3pin binding since I have 3pin leather boots. But a system binding/boot (NNN or SNS) would work well with this ski as well. I got a lot of good info for my research from the websites suggested by dbroudy:

http://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/DirtbagPinner/dirtbag.html
http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/

The telemark site is mostly focused on serious downhill telemark skiing, but there are lot of people and threads there about backcountry XC skiing. Good luck.

Return to “Ski/Ride the CO Peaks”