Lost Creek Wilderness - Current Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

I don't think conditions will be right for me to attempt a 14er next weekend so I was thinking of something in the Lost Creek Wilderness. Does anyone have any information about Bison Peak or anything else in the area? (Snow levels, etc.)
sdkeil
14ers: 58  32 
13ers: 367 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sdkeil »

I love lost creek wilderness. That is where I honed my backpacking skills. I dont know the current conditions, but its been a couple years since I have made it down there. Let me know how it goes.
Ass: (noun)
a long-eared, slow, patient, sure-footed domesticated mammal, Equus asinus, related to the horse, used chiefly as a beast of burden.
KeithK
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (51)

Post by KeithK »

Last weekend we encountered deep, sloppy snow on the North Ben Tyler Trail above 10000 feet, and it was melting quickly. Of course, with this weekend's fresh snow and cooler temps, I'm sure that there will still be plenty of snow up high. I haven't hiked to Bison Peak, is the trail a northern or southern exposure? We were up on the jeep road to N. Twin Cone Peak 2 weeks ago, and the snow drifts seemed to be a little bit higher up on that side, which is more of a southern exposure.

Hopefully this week will bring some warm and dry, because I'm anxious to get back up that way next weekend!
Snow is dumb.™
Stop cyber bullying!
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... -peak.html

The route has southern exposure and no avalanche danger, that's why I picked it. I was hoping to have a little less snow to avoid the potential post-holing saga but it looks like Jefferson will be warm and dry for the most part this week. Maybe that can clear some of the soft stuff out of there.
speedpolka
14ers: 23  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by speedpolka »

Let me know what conditions are. I have been trying to get back to the LCW for the past three weekends. Either work or weather keep getting in the way.
Subduction leads to Orogeny.
Greenhouseguy
14ers: 41  10 
13ers: 185 5
Trip Reports (71)

LCW

Post by Greenhouseguy »

I checked out the South Ben Tyler Trailhead last weekend, and it was entirely free of snow. The route appeared to be free of snow until you get just a few hundred feet below the plateau. The night time temperatures probably haven't been low enough to keep the snowpack frozen, so postholing will be a fact of life. As Keith said, the snow is rapidly melting, and conditions will change daily.

The Ute Creek Trailhead should be clear - there wasn't any snow on PC56/FSR56. Bison Peak looks like an awesome hike. I'm gearing up for South Twin Cone this weekend, weather permitting.

I picked up a used copy of Roach & Roach's LCW book on Amazon.com for a sweet price. There were other copies available; pick it up if you're a bibliophile, it was well worth the price. There are plenty of great peaks and hikes in the LCW, and Roach & Roach tell you everything you need to know to get started.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston
Kane
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kane »

Not having been up there this April/May I can at least give you a pretty good idea what you will encounter on Bison. Here's a map showing where to expect snow. I've climbed Bison in 6 different months, including May and April in the past. It's certainly doable right now as it is in every month. It's just a bit tougher in the snow months.

Expect considerable snow in the marked yellow sections of route on the map, snowshoes will help. If its packed down you may not need them but it's worth bringing them . Stash them once you reach the plateau where there will be a few small patches of snow to answer.

schneck
14ers: 5  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by schneck »

did anybody make it out that way? I'm considering Bison for this weekend and wondering about the latest conditions, esp. after last weekend's warmup.

Thanks!
Last edited by schneck on Tue May 15, 2007 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
badger4
14ers: 10 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by badger4 »

I hiked the Goose Creek Trail on Sunday, or at least about 5 miles up it, then turned around and headed back. No snow at all on this part of the trail. I talked to a guy though who said he did run into snow around 10,200 ft. on the Hankins Pass trail.
Couldn't have been asleep for more than three hours...
seeitallbeforeidie
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by seeitallbeforeidie »

Since there's so much new snow up high, I'm going to do a 2-3 day backpacking trip in the Lost Creek Wilderness. I'm going to do the Goose Creek, Mc Curdy, Lake Park, Hankins Pass Loop. I've never been there before. I'm not fit, but I like pain. Can I do the loop (23-25 miles) in 2 days?

Any ideas on how much snow is there?

Thanks!
cbell94
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cbell94 »

i was there last weekend. we went up the wigwam creek trail (beautiful) to the goose creek trail and then up and over the pass on the goose creek trail. there were small patches of snow in the shade over the pass, but nothing more than a few inches deep.
seeitallbeforeidie
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by seeitallbeforeidie »

Thanks, cbell94!