Snowshoeing Near Colorado Springs

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Snowshoeing Near Colorado Springs

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

Does anybody have any recommendations for snowshoeing near Colorado Springs? It doesn't need to be a summit hike or anything. Just looking to get outside and test out the new snowshoes.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Snowshoeing Near Colorado Springs

Post by Jim Davies »

Horsethief Park and Mueller State Park can both be good for that. Both have trailheads that are plowed year-round. You can call the Mueller visitor's center for more info. http://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/parks/Mueller
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
SharonH
14ers: 34 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SharonH »

As long as the road to the Crags trailhead is still open, the Crags, Raspberry Mountain or the Crags route up the backside of Pikes Peak are great snowshoe trails. With today's snow, should be nice and deep snow.
Kinashay
14ers: 14 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kinashay »

[quote="SharonH"]As long as the road to the Crags trailhead is still open, the Crags, Raspberry Mountain or the Crags route up the backside of Pikes Peak are great snowshoe trails. With today's snow, should be nice and deep snow.[/quote]

Unfortunately, that road isn't open at this time. FS is doing more work with the trees along that road.
Dean82
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dean82 »

Kinashay wrote:
SharonH wrote:As long as the road to the Crags trailhead is still open, the Crags, Raspberry Mountain or the Crags route up the backside of Pikes Peak are great snowshoe trails. With today's snow, should be nice and deep snow.
Unfortunately, that road isn't open at this time. FS is doing more work with the trees along that road.

The Road is open, I was just up there yesterday. A two wheel drive with a good driver can make it to the TH right now. The Road has been open since June. Not much snow up there. The last storm was really small and didn't amount to much.
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JTOlson26 »

Last weekend I headed up along the ridge to Raspberry Mountain and the snow was anywhere from nil to 18 inches deep depending on sun exposure. For the most part though, there is some decent snow and would be a nice, mellow snowshoe trek.
pmeadco
14ers: 58  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pmeadco »

Kinashay wrote:Unfortunately, that road isn't open at this time. FS is doing more work with the trees along that road.
It was supposed to be closed but the contractor that the USFS hired to remove the trees ended up working longer on their last project than planned so they aren't up there yet. They should be there in the next few weeks. The forest service has promised to announce it once a firm date is set.

I also like the area around Raspberry, Crags, Putney Gulch, Horsethief Park, Pancake Rocks. I especially like Horsethief and Putney since the trees are more open and you get more views. The main trails up there pack out pretty quickly after a storm so unless you want to go bushwacking there isn't much point in strapping extra weight to your feet on the main trails. There are tons of old logging roads and trails that crisscross the area, however, so if like to explore there are lots of options for poking around the woods. After the snow starts getting deep I would be wary about parking at the upper Craigs parking area. People often slide off the track and get really stuck between the Mennonite Camp and the Crags Trailhead, which means that if you are uphill from them you might be waiting for a long time. In fact, I was up there today and a truck got across the road right above the Crags Trailhead. Lucky for them a Jeep with a winch came down the road and was able to get them straightened out, otherwise they would have been there a long time.

Another area that I think is worth considering is the Rampart Range above the town of Palmer Lake. Park at the reservoir trailhead and hike up to the reservoirs. From there you have lots of options. I like to hike up the Ice Cave Creek trail and follow the gully that goes to the north behind Sundance Mountain. Nice area and you can go on for miles if you want. The Palmer Divide tends to extract a bit more snow out of the storms so the snow is usually pretty good up there.