Microspikes Needed on the Incline?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mountainrev
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (0)

Microspikes Needed on the Incline?

Post by mountainrev »

We moved to the Springs this last September, just in time for the Manitou Incline to close. Now that it's re-opened, I'm thinking of doing it tomorrow morning (12/30). This will be my first time. Just wondering if microspikes are needed. Anyone done it recently and can comment on the conditions? Thanks!
gorshkov
14ers: 39 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Microspikes Needed on the Incline?

Post by gorshkov »

I was in the springs over Christmas, and did the incline on the 26th. Microspikes would have been nice, but weren't necessary - I didn't have them, and it looked like most of the other people I saw didn't either. If you have microspikes, I'd take them, but don't necessarily go out and buy them just for the incline.
Stratosfearsome
14ers: 58  2  33 
13ers: 244 9 3
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Stratosfearsome »

I'd bring them, just in case. (It faces east, after all.)
Here's a webcam, obviously it is dark right now (I looked though): cograilway.com/manitou/inclinecam.jpg
I mean, between October and April in Colorado, I always throw Microspikes in my pack. I consider them a "top ten essential."
Have fun! And keep your eyes peeled for Olympians, they're active this time of year.
Rob
Nobody climbs 14ers anymore, they’re too crowded.
mountainrev
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountainrev »

Follow-up: It was a gorgeous morning on the Incline. We did wear our microspikes. It would have been do-able without, but much, much easier and safer with them. We took the Barr Trail down, and the spikes were even more welcome on the trail.