7 Day Dumpster Dive

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Re: 7 Day Dumpster Dive

Post by 12ersRule »

painless4u2 wrote: Get over it.
Good advice! I think I will bag 6262 that route. Thanks painfree.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

CreekRunner wrote: How have I never known about this? Even more importantly, why does Colorado Christian University own the backside of 6262?6262&CCU.png
A few years back, they were looking to move their campus there.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Matt
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

CreekRunner wrote:How have I never known about this? Even more importantly, why does Colorado Christian University own the backside of 6262?6262&CCU.png
That could explain why I had a guy watching me with binoculars for most of the trip up from Turkey Creek Road. He pulled up after I was about 200ft above the road, and kept his eye on me until I was on the "summit ridge," where he could no longer see me. I took a break out of sight, and he stuck around for at least 15 minutes after I was out of view. He was gone for the descent, thankfully.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Matt wrote:
CreekRunner wrote:How have I never known about this? Even more importantly, why does Colorado Christian University own the backside of 6262?6262&CCU.png
That could explain why I had a guy watching me with binoculars for most of the trip up from Turkey Creek Road. He pulled up after I was about 200ft above the road, and kept his eye on me until I was on the "summit ridge," where he could no longer see me. I took a break out of sight, and he stuck around for at least 15 minutes after I was out of view. He was gone for the descent, thankfully.
Probably  just couldn't take his eyes off your sexy legs
CreekRunner
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 35 5
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CreekRunner »

rijaca wrote:
CreekRunner wrote: How have I never known about this? Even more importantly, why does Colorado Christian University own the backside of 6262?6262&CCU.png
A few years back, they were looking to move their campus there.
Thanks. If I had to bushwack to build a campus, I would abandon plans to build too. Now if only CU didn't do research in the arickaree/Albion vicinity. :lol:
TK
14ers: 17 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TK »

Wow! Thanks Teresa! I'm going to have to try some of these tricks. So far, I've been sticking to routes and peaks on state game lands because they are clearly defined. This is a whole new level of planning.
"If you're not sure where you are, but you haven't taken the time to stop and look at the map, you're not lost, just lazy." -Darran Wells
hessma
14ers: 10 
13ers: 4 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hessma »

Had a little window to do some dumpster diving today, so put my recon mission to work on summiting this guy, http://listsofjohn.com/peak/4010.

Door to door about 8 miles. Completed in 4 hours. Through Beaver Ranch, Newton Park, a vacant, lot and a close to summit house.

I'll create a caltopo map later to share the route, but the following shows an over view of it:
4010 map.JPG
4010 map.JPG (78.19 KiB) Viewed 1046 times
Here are a few pics from the trip.
From Beaver Ranch, looking over the route up Newton and between the rock outcroppings.
Route_View1.jpg
Route_View1.jpg (151.25 KiB) Viewed 1046 times
On top, little rock scramble to avoid the "Summit House".
Scramble1.jpg
Scramble1.jpg (210.09 KiB) Viewed 1046 times
"So I say, do not discriminate what constitutes a mountain. Be happy you are in a continual pursuit of something that gives you energy in life.” —Stefan Feller
hessma
14ers: 10 
13ers: 4 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hessma »

Obligatory Summit pics.
Attachments
summit_4010_1.jpg
summit_4010_1.jpg (105.88 KiB) Viewed 1044 times
summit_4010_Rex1.jpg
summit_4010_Rex1.jpg (120.38 KiB) Viewed 1044 times
"So I say, do not discriminate what constitutes a mountain. Be happy you are in a continual pursuit of something that gives you energy in life.” —Stefan Feller
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

here's a good list, at the opposite end of the spectrum, all the CO 4ers. I wonder what the speed record is for them, under a day seems quite doable. These are just the 7 ranked ones, there's a bunch more unranked.

https://listsofjohn.com/elev?s=CO&e=4
https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/selec ... =&S=CO&R=4

and this one would be cool:

https://www.listsofjohn.com/peak/106372
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"