9ers Are Like Mopeds: Riley Peak

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Re: 9ers Are Like Mopeds: Riley Peak

Post by Jay521 »

Matt wrote:Also, I've done Glennon in shorts several times. IDK what the big deal is. Many of the foothill peaks are much worse, and don't even offer any scrambling.
Either you have tougher legs than I have or are better at route finding than I am. Probably both... :)
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
hessma
14ers: 10 
13ers: 4 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hessma »

Matt wrote:
boudreaux wrote:Dumpster Divers---someone who pursues the smaller, low elevation, more obscure peaks, off the beaten path, that only county summitters would do! Requires serious bushwhacking, determination, and above all passion for the pursuit of peaks! A hiker from Washington state coined that name about 10 years ago I believe!

Back in the day when I was just doing the 14ers, I used to laugh at these people, thinking they were wasting their time. This is where it happens and these peaks bring the most satisfaction to me, a sense of accomplishment beyond explanation. Put simply they are FUN peaks where you hone your outdoor skills to an expert level!
I enjoy me some dumpster diving: http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.ph ... m=tripmine
Also, I've done Glennon in shorts several times. IDK what the big deal is. Many of the foothill peaks are much worse, and don't even offer any scrambling.
I'm all about being in the Dumpster Diver Gang! Can we all get matching tattoos?
"So I say, do not discriminate what constitutes a mountain. Be happy you are in a continual pursuit of something that gives you energy in life.” —Stefan Feller
dhgold
Trip Reports (10)

Post by dhgold »

Listsofjohn has trip reports for many of the lower peaks in (and out of) the state.
hessma
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hessma »

dhgold wrote:Listsofjohn has trip reports for many of the lower peaks in (and out of) the state.
Thanks! I've been all over that site like ants on candy since Matt posted some lists. I even found some cool caves...spoooooky
Cave link: http://listsofjohn.com/peak/2462" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"So I say, do not discriminate what constitutes a mountain. Be happy you are in a continual pursuit of something that gives you energy in life.” —Stefan Feller
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

hessma wrote:I'm all about being in the Dumpster Diver Gang! Can we all get matching tattoos?
A tat with a trashcan and a mountain combined in some fashion would be cool! I'm all in!
Ragin Cajun
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

Matt wrote:Well, until Derek chimes in...
What can I say. You lured me in.

Dumpster divers unite. That forum on 14erworld was a fun hangout back in the day.

Like Matt and some others noted, Legault Mt. is a nice close one. I also enjoy the Blue Mountain group (East Blue, Blue Mt and Baby Blue) which you can access from Golden Gate Canyon Park. Raleigh/Long Scraggy I enjoyed. Evergreen Mt/Elephant Butte are nice. There are some UN 8ers in the conifer area too that I remembered being pleasant. (And for the most part legal.) Mt Glennon is weird. Why build stairs that nice and just end with a crappy use trail? Oh well.
hessma wrote:Thanks! I've been all over that site like ants on candy since Matt posted some lists. I even found some cool caves...spoooooky
Cave link: http://listsofjohn.com/peak/2462" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This peak you linked to (kid you not) is my favorite mountain in CO. A lot of fun. Wrote a TR on it a while back:
http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.ph ... ki=Include

--D
hessma
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hessma »

Derek wrote:
Matt wrote:Well, until Derek chimes in...
What can I say. You lured me in.

Dumpster divers unite. That forum on 14erworld was a fun hangout back in the day.

Like Matt and some others noted, Legault Mt. is a nice close one. I also enjoy the Blue Mountain group (East Blue, Blue Mt and Baby Blue) which you can access from Golden Gate Canyon Park. Raleigh/Long Scraggy I enjoyed. Evergreen Mt/Elephant Butte are nice. There are some UN 8ers in the conifer area too that I remembered being pleasant. (And for the most part legal.) Mt Glennon is weird. Why build stairs that nice and just end with a crappy use trail? Oh well.
hessma wrote:Thanks! I've been all over that site like ants on candy since Matt posted some lists. I even found some cool caves...spoooooky
This peak you linked to (kid you not) is my favorite mountain in CO. A lot of fun. Wrote a TR on it a while back:
http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.ph ... ki=Include

--D
I'm in. Sent you a PM
boudreaux
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

Derek wrote:Dumpster divers unite. That forum on 14erworld was a fun hangout back in the day.

That was my baby, suggested it to Stevo and he liked the idea, unfortunately some members didn't like it and the name was changed to Sub Alpine!

I know how hard it is to find hikers willing to do these kinds of peaks as well, the vast majority of my 200+ dumpster dives were solo, so I feel ya Derek! But these days my schedule probably won't allow me that luxury of meeting up with others to make these more fun!
Last edited by boudreaux on Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ragin Cajun
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

All the truly hard peaks in Colorado are sub-alpine. I know, heresy on a 14ers site, just sayin'...

-Tom
boudreaux
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

TomPierce wrote:All the truly hard peaks in Colorado are sub-alpine. I know, heresy on a 14ers site, just sayin'...

-Tom
Totally Agree!
Ragin Cajun
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

TomPierce wrote:All the truly hard peaks in Colorado are sub-alpine. I know, heresy on a 14ers site, just sayin'...

-Tom
Yeah. Which is why I'm sure something like Chair Rocks will remain uncompleted for me (despite being so close) for a long, long time.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Derek,

I found a variation on Chair Rock that I think goes at 5.8/9. Stiff for sure, but not the 5.10> of the standard route. If you're interested I'd love to go back, but in warmer weather. Much warmer weather...

-Tom