West side of RMNP hiking question.

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Alex
14ers: 31 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (0)

West side of RMNP hiking question.

Post by Alex »

I plan to be in the west side of RMNP / Indian Peaks wilderness around Grand Lake or Granby on September 30 - October 2. Ideally I would like to summit some mountain, higher is better. Limitations: day hike, maximum difficulty - difficult class 2 YDS, no more than 4000' elevation gain, no more than 15 miles round trip.
Any suggestions?
The only thing better than mountains are mountains to which you have never been!
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Re: West side of RMNP hiking question.

Post by 12ersRule »

All of these are C2.

Neva from Meadow Creek TH. Roach says 8 miles 2770ft. Easy to add on Jasper (of course you have to come back from Jasper though). There's also a few 11ers on the west ridge to do too. Hike to Columbine Lake around 11k, then get up to a ridge and follow a ridge. Pretty straightforward, even though I don't recall much of an established trail.

Watanga from Roaring Fork TH. Roach says 12 miles (probably more like 13), 4075ft of gain. Good trail to Watanga lake at 10,820. At Watanga lake, just keep going east and up. It's bushwhacky for a little while, but once you gain this ridge it's easy. Off trail for about 1550ft.

In RMNP, Ida from Milner Pass is probably the best choice. You're above treeline and stay above it in about 10 minutes. Pretty much a climbers trail all the way.

I haven't done any of the Never Summers from over that way, but it's probably over 4k for just one of 'em. Most of the peaks in western RMNP have very long approaches.

Of the 3, Neva, Watanga, and Ida, Ida will have the most people, but it won't be that bad.
Last edited by 12ersRule on Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Cascade is a good one in the Never Summers that would fit your criteria.

I agree with Neva from the west. It's a nice hike. 12660 is a good one if you want a good look at Devils Thumb.
Last edited by Scott P on Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Yeah, 12660 is good too. Drive to Rollins Pass isn't my fave. I liked it on Mtn bike though.
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by lodgling »

Are you staying in Grand Lake? If so, Baldy (Mt. Craig) is kind of a local classic. Not sure what class 2 really means. There's no real trail after tree line, but it is more of a route finding challenge than a climbing challenge.
SummitHil
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SummitHil »

I would second the suggestion for Mt. Ida - sees very little traffic even on weekends, which makes it all that much better.

Chapin, Chiquita, and Ypsilon (all 13ers), about 8 miles RT, is another good option. Only catch is you would need to drive from Granby to the start of the one-way Fall River Road (accessed via Trail Ridge Road) and then drive most of the way back up it to get to the trailhead. The drive is gorgeous, though, so really not much of an issue anyway!
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

SummitHil wrote:I would second the suggestion for Mt. Ida - sees very little traffic even on weekends, which makes it all that much better.

Chapin, Chiquita, and Ypsilon (all 13ers), about 8 miles RT, is another good option. Only catch is you would need to drive from Granby to the start of the one-way Fall River Road (accessed via Trail Ridge Road) and then drive most of the way back up it to get to the trailhead. The drive is gorgeous, though, so really not much of an issue anyway!
Ida is definitely getting more popular, although it's relative. Compared to 14ers then yes, Ida is pretty low volume...but it's becoming one of the more popular RMNP peaks due to its trail and short mileage. The last time I was on Ida I think I lost count of how many people I saw, especially compared to the two times I'd done it years back.

But, it is a good summit with great views, plus it's easy to add on Chief Cheley and Cracktop without exceeding class 2 or your mileage/gain requests.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

It doesn't include a summit (although you could certainly add one), but the hike to the Lone Eagle Cirque and Crater Lake is one of the best in the state. Good as a backpack or a dayhike, good fishing, many excellent waterfalls along the way, and some of the best photo ops in CO.

BTW, Lone Eagle Peak goes at class 4 and into the 5's, depending on the route.
http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.ph ... ki=Include
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

+1 for Crater Lake (Lone Eagle Cirque) and for Mt. Ida. Both are awesome. Unfortunately, ChrisRoberts is correct about the increasing popularity though. I did Mt. Ida about 8 years ago with my brothers and we saw nobody else the entire day (summer weekday). I finally returned there for my second time last month, and was saddened to find it as busy as other comparable hikes in the park. Maybe it was just that particular day, but it was really crowded. I guess there are no more hidden gems. Maybe I should blame myself for recommending it on public internet forums...
Alex
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alex »

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate all the responses. I have much more choices now than available days :)
Some of the places suggested I've already hiked, for instance, Chopin-Chiquita-Ypsilon is a great combination, but I've been there. And yes, I remember that it was one way not paved road to get to TH, and cars were parked along it.
BTW, would I need 4WD to get to any of those THs? Rollins Path if I decide to go there looks suspicious, at least on the map. I am also not sure about Meadow Creek Reservoir TH.
The only thing better than mountains are mountains to which you have never been!