mosquito conditions at Maroon Bells?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
gspup
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: mosquito conditions at Maroon Bells?

Post by gspup »

forwardbias wrote:Kind of curious, as someone new to Colorado (almost at a year!) I have almost never seen a mosquito (since moving here). Are there some areas that are more mosquito prone? I personally HATE mosquitoes so I'm just looking for when and where to avoid :-)
You've been very lucky...there are mosquitos all over Colorado. Avoid water...
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

forwardbias wrote:Kind of curious, as someone new to Colorado (almost at a year!) I have almost never seen a mosquito (since moving here). Are there some areas that are more mosquito prone? I personally HATE mosquitoes so I'm just looking for when and where to avoid :-)
The worst I've seen personally was at the Kilpacker Basin trailhead for Wilson/El Diente, back in mid-June. It's a marshy, flat area, and the skeeters there were BAD...by comparison, I would say that what we saw at Snowmass Lake last weekend was very mild.

Otherwise, based on all the recent reports it sounds like the Sangres are really bad this year. Haven't had the desire to come find out for myself just yet...
forwardbias
14ers: 5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by forwardbias »

gspup wrote: You've been very lucky...there are mosquitos all over Colorado. Avoid water...
Interesting, here in Golden I have been bit a total of twice this summer. Which is awesome compared to where we moved from (dc), where you were lucky to only be bit twice while running from the house to the car. In the mountains I have been to Indian peaks, tour de Abyss, Loveland pass, and greys/Torreys, haven't seen one.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

I was bit twice while reading this thread
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

Thanks all for the info! I'll be bringing a tent and some deet for sure
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

The worst mosquitos I've ever experienced in Colorado were at Lake Como. I've never seen that many down in the Front Range cities, as it's kind of dry (especially Colorado Springs). There were plenty in the Lake City area two weeks ago, but DEET kept them at bay.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
gspup
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gspup »

forwardbias wrote:
gspup wrote: You've been very lucky...there are mosquitos all over Colorado. Avoid water...
Interesting, here in Golden I have been bit a total of twice this summer. Which is awesome compared to where we moved from (dc), where you were lucky to only be bit twice while running from the house to the car. In the mountains I have been to Indian peaks, tour de Abyss, Loveland pass, and greys/Torreys, haven't seen one.
Not really interesting, I grew up in Golden and didn't see a gross amount of mosquitos either. Not a ton of water around, but you can find enough of them down by clear creek at dusk to wish you had some bug spray.

I was making a general statement of mosquitoes in Colorado, wasn't speaking specifically of Golden. Luckily we don't have mosquitoes or bugs like DC.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Jim Davies wrote:The worst mosquitos I've ever experienced in Colorado were at Lake Como. I've never seen that many down in the Front Range cities, as it's kind of dry (especially Colorado Springs). There were plenty in the Lake City area two weeks ago, but DEET kept them at bay.
Upper Cataract Lake in the Gores. Ugh. Although still pales in comparison to Wyoming and Canada.
Patinator
14ers: 58 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Patinator »

I was in the Music Pass area of the Sangres a few weeks ago and it was the worst mosquito experience I have ever had anywhere. After a six hour hike, I had several hundred bites. They started biting at the trailhead, continued up to about 12,000 feet and then it was just flies.