Mt. Sopris at this time?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
benc134
14ers: 10 
Trip Reports (0)

Mt. Sopris at this time?

Post by benc134 »

Hey guys, does anyone have updates on the current condition of the Mt. Sopris trail? Probably making it to aspen to visit a friend this weekend and I was looking to do a little 14er training for this season. Lived in Glenwood as a kid but never got the chance to climb Sopris and it seems like a good option for what i'm trying to do. Any information available on the trail conditions is appreciated!
CreekRunner
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 35 5
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Mt. Sopris at this time?

Post by CreekRunner »

At least by the webcam, the snow line looks to start just around timberline. I couldn't tell you the exact conditions of the trail though.

http://www.keno.org/colorado_web_cams/m ... s_cams.htm
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I have climbed it in June in a previous year. Take an ice axe. The lower part of the trail is probably quite muddy.

If you are good with an ice axe, you can take an alternate route up or down the north face from between the two peaks. This route is unpleasant once the snow melts since you must cross some rock glaciers. If covered in snow, it's a great route.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

I've climbed Mount Sopris in late May in a fairly average snow year (2009) and although I haven't been in that area yet this year, here are a couple things to consider:

1) If there is snow in the trees above Thomas Lakes it can often be unconsolidated and you may consider bringing flotation devices (snowshoes, skis, etc) so you don't have to post hole all the way up.

2) If you are planning on a two day trip with a camp at Thomas Lakes they well may be frozen over meaning you'll either want to hike a ways down the trail to flowing water, bring extra water, or be prepared to melt snow the night before your summit attempt.

3) The outlet stream below Thomas Lakes may be flowing heavy through the willows accross the trail. Bring waterproof boots or be prepared to get wet.

4) As Scott P recommends, you'll definitely want an ice axe for the upper mountain and I would recommend bringing a pair of microspikes or crampons as well.

5) There is usually a big cornice that forms between the East and West summits. Sometimes in the early season it's difficult to tell where the cornice ends and ridge begins. If you decide to traverse between the two stay on the south side of the ridge.

5) Be prepared for mud on the trail to Thomas Lakes.

I think that's about it.

Good luck and have fun it's a great mountain!

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick