Summit options in current conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kimsyD
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Summit options in current conditions

Post by kimsyD »

Hi!

My boyfriend and I are visiting the Aspen area in a week. I had been selfishly hoping the snow would stay away and give dry conditions, but I didn't get my wish.

Any ideas for a mountain (any height) in the Aspen area? Or alternatively, Crested Butte or Ouray areas? We're looking to summit rather than a day hike (although we'll take what nature gives us!). I've spent a lot of time in Western CO, so not interested hiking out there.

Thanks for any opinions!

PS. Yes, I saw the Inevitable Spring/Fall Forum Events. Sorryish.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Summit options in current conditions

Post by peter303 »

If you are coming from Denver, I suggest 13K Mt Sniktau at Loveland Pass. That is not close to Aspen, but along the way.

It is late winter in the Colorado mountains with continuous snow starting at 9K-10K feet depending on side of mountain. You will need snowshoes and avalanche safety gear on most routes, micro spikes and ice axe on some routes. Most of the Aspen area 14ers are consider difficult with the exception of Castle.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

If you don't have to have a summit, consider Hanging Lake. The trail is probably snow-free by now. Same with Grizzly Creek.

If you want a snow free summit, Red Hill is your best bet. There shouldn't be any snow there.

http://www.summitpost.org/red-hill/762518" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a pretty small peak though.

There are plenty of summits around Aspen that have no Avalanche danger, but you will probably need snowshoes for most of them. Expect mud lower down.

Here are some of the peaks where avalanche danger can be avoided (if you stay on route):

http://www.summitpost.org/bald-knob/515850" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.summitpost.org/mount-yeckel/515882" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.summitpost.org/smuggler-mountain/515872" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All are long hikes if you do them in a day.

The standard route of Sopris (at least to the first summit) is also pretty safe from avalanches (if you don't get off route), but it's a long arduous climb this time of year. I'd recommend taking an ice axe as well.

http://www.summitpost.org/mount-sopris/150233" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Near Glenwood Springs, Red Mountain probably doesn't much snow left, but it may be muddy:

http://www.summitpost.org/red-mountain- ... nty/688274" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Williams Peak will have snow, but should be reasonable, but with mud.
Last edited by Scott P on Sat May 07, 2016 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
catcalliope
14ers: 29 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by catcalliope »

Electric Pass/Peak is one of my all-time favorite hikes, but it's a high 13er and so should still have a great deal of snow on it. Summiting is probably not possible without the right gear. But, the hike up to Cathedral Lake below it is beautiful and provides some awesome views of the surrounding peaks. It might also have some snow; you might try calling the ranger station for a conditions report. If you're in the area for a week I'd absolutely recommend that trail.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

But, the hike up to Cathedral Lake below it is beautiful and provides some awesome views of the surrounding peaks. It might also have some snow
Actually, it will several feet of snow. That's a more advanced trip this time of year.
jeffth5
13ers: 22 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jeffth5 »

There will be lots of people climbing lots of objectives around Aspen next weekend:

http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49044" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I suggest you post in the Spring Gathering thread and link up with someone doing something straightforward.

Do you have snow gear? You're going to need it. You can rent at REI in Denver.
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Post by wineguy »

Scott P wrote: The standard route of Sopris (at least to the first summit) is also pretty safe from avalanches (if you don't get off route), but it's a long arduous climb this time of year. I'd recommend taking an ice axe as well.

http://www.summitpost.org/mount-sopris/150233" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I checked out Sopris around this time last year and the approach from the TH was a mud-fest.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I checked out Sopris around this time last year and the approach from the TH was a mud-fest.
Except for the ones at lower elevation (Red Hill, etc.), I think that will true for most trailhead in the area before you hit the snow.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

Scott P wrote:
Except for the ones at lower elevation (Red Hill, etc.), I think that will true for most trailhead in the area before you hit the snow.
As someone who lived in Glenwood Springs for 10 years, Scott P is right, most trails in the Roaring Fork Valley will have snow on them this time of the year (or be muddy). Cathedral Lake will definitely be snowbound, and you will probably want an ice axe or at least trekking poles to get up the steep snow slope (where the summer trail switchbacks) below the lake.

If you don't have snow gear (ice axe, crampons, microspikes, snowshoes) you'll either want to rent or borrow some or change your plans to lower elevation trails without snow.

As far as snow-free trails go, in addition to the ones mentioned above, there's also the Storm King Mountain Memorial trail off I-70 just west of Glenwood Springs. It faces mostly south and has less mud than most trails in the area this time of the year:

http://www.southcanyonfire.com/#!trail/c1ssd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
giarcd
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (15)

Post by giarcd »

Hike Storm King Memorial Trail often and it is snow free now. Access to Cathedral Peak / Lake was buried in snow from road to TH parking on 5-6-16 ! Road to Greg Mace Peak (same road to Montezuma Basin) is hikeable , low hazard in AM especially.
kimsyD
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimsyD »

Thank you all for the recommendations and input. We haven't made any decisions yet, but we feel much more educated on our options!