Carbonate Mountain info needed

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
scberger
14ers: 17  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Carbonate Mountain info needed

Post by scberger »

OK, I'm the one that couldn't find Mt. Herard info because I was spelling it incorrectly. Maybe I'm stupid, but I have another question. Looks like Herard is going to be out of the question because Sand Dunes Park service states Medano Pass road is pretty bad and my 4WD Pilot probably won't make it. So I am looking for a peak I can access and climb that will give great views of the Sand Dunes. Carbonate Mountain, elevation 12,308 accessed from rd 583 to Mosca Pass looks like it could be an option. Anyone hiked this peak? Again I'm having trouble finding any trail info (maybe there is no trail?) because apparently there is another Carbonate Mountain the the Sawatch which is a 13er. Any info appreciated and thanks for the correction re: Herard!
sleepdeprivation
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Carbonate Mountain info needed

Post by sleepdeprivation »

There is a trail until treeline, but its not on any map.

At Mosca Pass you'll take Forest Road 583A. Its a really short road. (also not on my maps).
Locate the trail, its to the south (right) after you pass through some trees that make the road really narrow. It looks like a camping area, and has lots of broken glass on the ground around it.
Your car will make it there without any problems.

Take a map, and follow the county line along the ridge.
There is a place where it looks like you can contour around the mountain, don't take it. (This cost me lots of frustration.)
You'll have a trail until point 11268, and after that there is cairns for about a half mile.
Follow them if you can, but they just stay on the ridge, so don't get too caught up about it.
After that, follow the county line (and the ridge) to the summit.
There is also some trail segments east of the county line about half a mile from point 12250, but they aren't worth going out of your way for.
I'm planning to write up a trip report with more detailed instructions (and continues to the Huerfano/Lily Lake Trailhead), but for now that should get you started.

You'll have lots of great views of the dunes long before you get to the peak.
Don't forget to take some pictures of Blanca on the way!