RMNP west side question

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Brian Thomas
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 130
Trip Reports (5)

RMNP west side question

Post by Brian Thomas »

Advice/answers needed: I have a backcountry campsite on the west side of RMNP and am trying to put together an itinerary and need to know what kind of terrain I may expect to encounter. Plan to bushwhack north and then northeast to Nakai Pk and onward to Sprague Mtn, out and back to Stones Pk, through Sprague Pass, and possibly an out and back to Snowdrift Pk, then return to camp via Tonahutu Creek Trail. I have been within a few hundred feet of the summit of Snowdrift but never to any of the peaks north of the trail. Any advice on the difficulty and quality (or lack thereof) of this route and/or suggested add-ons is appreciated, with favorable weather I could stretch this to a 20+ mile day. Thanks!
RMNP.jpg
RMNP.jpg (345.02 KiB) Viewed 536 times
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Re: RMNP west side question

Post by cougar »

Steve Knapp posted a good trip report on this same loop on listsofjohn

http://listsofjohn.com/tr?Id=2272&pkid=1589" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
andrewrose
14ers: 6  5 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (5)

Re: RMNP west side question

Post by andrewrose »

I was in this area yesterday- really quite beautiful. As for the terrain, one you are above treeline, you should find mostly tundra, with the exception of talus between Sprague and Stones, and talus toward the top of Snowdrift. Below treeline, it'll be bushwhacking, but it isn't too bad with not much dead fall and most of that being smaller trees.
As for add ons, you can do as Steve did and add "Bushwhack Hill" at the beginning. Not great views as it is pretty heavily treed, but it is a ranked peak if that matters to you. Mt. Eleanor is the unranked and unofficially named highpoint se of 12497 and lies on the continental divide. Stapps Peak is the unranked peak ne of Stones, at the end of that peninsula of land before you'd descend into the madness of Forest Canyon. From Snowdrift, you can continue wsw to Mt. Patterson, another ranked peak. Nisa Mountain is unranked and lies SW of Patterson, but again is below treeline and not too high in the good views department.
If lakes might be of interest, Chickaree Lake, Wonderland Lake, and Murphy Lake would be high on my list. Granite Falls is very pretty and worth checking out if you come back down that way too.
CEO and head pancake maker at http://www.hikingrmnp.org