Hiking Eagles Peak Colorado Springs

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
hop2it
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (1)

Hiking Eagles Peak Colorado Springs

Post by hop2it »

Good morning ! I have a couple of questions concerning Eagles Peak in Colorado Springs for anybody who may be able to help me out a bit .... Does anyone know if it is open to the general public for hiking, or do you need to be with someone who is current or retired military in order to be allowed on base? I wanted to do it this Saturday since I know the incline will probably be packed with folks. Also, I did a Google search and some of the information I read said that there is usually ice in the gulley during winter months and that it made for a more difficult climb….but with the overall nice weather we have had, would that be more doable for someone like myself by now ?

Thanks !

Jacqueline
Last edited by hop2it on Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeffskio
14ers: 51  1 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Hiking Eagles Peak Colorado Springs

Post by jeffskio »

I know there will be ice in the gully and it will be challenging with microspikes. I used crampons one time and that worked just fine. It may have been overkill.
BetterThanWork89
14ers: 10 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BetterThanWork89 »

Eagle Peak is a great climb, though the part about the ice is true. I climbed it 4 times last winter and plan on going again this weekend, with the purpose of avoiding the crowds at the Incline, Red rock open space, and Garden of the Gods. I haven't been up there recently but even when it's in the worst of conditions microspikes will get you by. Be prepared, the last 500 or so vertical feet are scrambling over large boulders, and with ice/snow present, footing is important.
As for the I.D. part you shouldn't need a military I.D. since parking for the hike is at the visitors center, so I would assume anyone could get there after going through the gate/vehicle search if necessary. Just make sure you go to the North Gate, as the South Gate is for technically DOD ID holders only.
seoulman
14ers: 35 
13ers: 37 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by seoulman »

Jackie,
I climbed Eagle Peak at least a half dozen times last year, mostly to keep in shape for 14'ers when I just don't have time to drive out of the Springs. The trail follows a creek with a small waterfall that ices over in winter. Good microspikes would be very, very helpful at that point. I've had to bushwag (and it's steep there too) it around that spot or perform all kinds of gymnatics with the surrounding trees to get past that icy spot. As for access, I do have a military ID so I never worried about it. I've met other hikers there who didn't have military ID's but I didn't bother to further interrogate them as to how they got on the AFA. I think it's possible is my (weak) point here.../r Geoff
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

It's essentially open to visitors since you can park at the Visitor Center and then walk across the street. You'll need spikes and route finding can be a bit difficult in the winter. Also, due to recent assaults on the Academy grounds the USAFA has a new rule prohibiting solo hiking so you'll need a partner.

(edit) the gullies there don't get much direct sunlight so I doubt it has melted a lot.
hop2it
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hop2it »

Ok thanks for the replies ! I have micro-spikes so I could at least give it a try, especially since it doesn't require an military ID.

I didn't realize I'd need a hiking partner however . Geoff or Betterthanwork89 if either of you be up for going with me on Saturday send me a PM! I may have another friend going as well. But I'm going skiing on Monday and have church Sunday, so tomorrow would be my only free day .

And I thought that I had read somewhere that the trail is marked with white and yellow placements .... But maybe I misunderstood . I'll do some more research.

Thanks again for the help!
JerryB
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JerryB »

PM Sent.
KentonB
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KentonB »

I got to this thread a little late, but in case others are searching through it in the future...

One other consideration are the "Visitors Hours". When we went a couple years back, I was able to get on the base early in the morning with a military ID. One of my hiking partners, however, was coming down separately from Denver and had to wait until 9 am as I recall because he didn't have one. Not a big deal, but just something to consider if you're planning an early hike!
hop2it
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hop2it »

Thanks for the tip KentonB! I actually forgot my Drivers License because my friend drove, but thankfully there wasn't anyone at the guard shack and the gate was up and so we were able to drive on through!

I did have another quick question. You mentioned that the Visiting Hours start at 9 and I know they end at 5, but if you hike past that time, does it really matter? Or are they pretty strict on the closing hours too?
KentonB
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KentonB »

I'm not sure what the official policy is on the Academy, but I doubt there would be any problems if you were running late. The Security Forces there have always been pretty reasonable with me provided they're not at an elevated threat level (e.g., after 9/11). I do know they want everyone off the trails by sundown though.

Your best bet is to give the Visitors Center a call (719-333-2025), or you can e-mail them at pa.comrel@usafa.af.mil. They can give you the "official" answer. :-D
hop2it
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hop2it »

Ok thanks again ! I'll give them a call!