Good Front Range Spots to Watch the Sun Rise

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
AckMonster
14ers: 37  4 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Good Front Range Spots to Watch the Sun Rise

Post by AckMonster »

Not 14er related but wanted to see if the community had any ideas as I am coming up blank. For Valentines Day, I want to take my wife on an early morning hike - watch the sun rise and cook a little brecky on a camp stove. Presuming good (enough) weather does anyone have any suggestions on the Front Range for such a spot? Don't want to hike in more than 3 miles.

Thanks for any and all help.
E-dorvs
14ers: 27 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Good Front Range Spots to Watch the Sun Rise

Post by E-dorvs »

Chief Mountain off of Squaw Pass road. About 1-1.5 miles up, 1000' of gain but on an easy trail. It will probably be pretty packed snow so some traction would likely be a good idea. Otherwise it's through the woods and then breaks out above the trees for the last 1/4 or so. Great views of Denver & the plains with a great view of the entire Front Range (Longs down to Pikes with Evans right in your face) assuming the weather is clear. Parking is on the right side of the road just after Echo Mountain (or whatever it's called now - Front Range Ski club).

Only concern I would have is the weather. Chief can be subject to some pretty impressive winds so I would check that piece of the forecast before heading out.
"The solitary places do not seem quite lonely. At the gates of the forest, the surprised man of the world is forced to leave his city estimates of great and small, wise and foolish. The knapsack of custom falls off his back with the first step he makes into these precincts. Here is sanctity which shames our religions, and reality which discredits our heroes."
— Ralph Waldo Emersron, Nature.
AckMonster
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AckMonster »

Thanks for the input E-Dorvs!
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

If getting to a particularly high elevation isn't a requirement, anywhere in the Boulder Open Space foothills could work well, e.g. Mt. Sanitas. Or...there's a nice spot on the way to Mallory Cave with a great view out over the plains...only about an hour to get there, too. Nice idea, BTW!
tjmartn1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tjmartn1 »

Mt. Gilbraith summit is less than 3 miles from the trailhead and has pretty good views to the east.
AckMonster
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AckMonster »

Thanks for the suggestions. The Forum is always a great place to troll for good beta from the big to the small.