Browns Canyon National Monument Meeting 12/6

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
asch
Trip Reports (0)

Browns Canyon National Monument Meeting 12/6

Post by asch »

Some of you have climbed peaks in Chaffee County in an area that is up for designation as Browns Canyon National Monument. There is a move to persuade President Obama to designate the area as a National Monument. There is a meeting Sat., Dec.6, in Salida , 1-3pm, Salida SteamPlant , to meet with Udall, Michael Bennet, and senior officials from the Obama administration.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1517157 ... er_invited" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Browns Canyon National Monument Meeting 12/6

Post by SkaredShtles »

IMBA would like mt bikers to participate and encourage language that *clearly* separates bicycles from motorized vehicles. Bicycles need to be allowed in any newly designated area.

https://www.imba.com/alert/mountain-bik ... wns-canyon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

My understanding of this effort to create Browns Canyon National Monument is ultimately to prevent the building of a dam on the Arkansas River. I know that the fly fishing community as well as the kayaking community are both in support of this proposal.
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

MonGoose wrote:My understanding of this effort to create Browns Canyon National Monument is ultimately to prevent the building of a dam on the Arkansas River. I know that the fly fishing community as well as the kayaking community are both in support of this proposal.
This would also permanently keep out that idiot Cristo that won't give up his fight to drape his dirty laundry over the top of the river in the name of "art".
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

metalmountain wrote:
MonGoose wrote:My understanding of this effort to create Browns Canyon National Monument is ultimately to prevent the building of a dam on the Arkansas River. I know that the fly fishing community as well as the kayaking community are both in support of this proposal.
This would also permanently keep out that idiot Cristo that won't give up his fight to drape his dirty laundry over the top of the river in the name of "art".
Not true, unfortunately. Browns Canyon is in between Buena Vista and Salida on the Arkansas River. Cristo wanted to drape his garbage "art" :roll: over the Arkansas farther east, between Salida and Canon City (closer to Canon than Salida).
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
mountaingoat-G
14ers: 23  5  1 
13ers: 21 6 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountaingoat-G »

I was surprised and disappointed to see this long list of supporters of that Christo project..
http://www.overtheriverinfo.com/index.p ... upporters/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:(
metalmountain
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

mtgirl wrote:
metalmountain wrote:
Not true, unfortunately. Browns Canyon is in between Buena Vista and Salida on the Arkansas River. Cristo wanted to drape his garbage "art" :roll: over the Arkansas farther east, between Salida and Canon City (closer to Canon than Salida).
Crap, you're right. Cristo is still trying to get this done unfortunately. ROAR (opposition group) has it all tied up in court at the moment. I haven't heard any updates in months though, which I guess could be good or bad.
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
mountaingoat-G
14ers: 23  5  1 
13ers: 21 6 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountaingoat-G »

from their website:

April 2nd, 2014 — OTR Project Team Update

The only legal challenge to Over The River yet to be ruled on is in federal court. That process advanced one step further with the recent denial of the opposition group’s motion to supplement the already extensive Bureau of Land Management (BLM) analysis of bighorn sheep in the Arkansas River Valley.

Christo is pleased the court validated the BLM findings by dismissing this attempt to end-run around the federal process and add opinions – not facts – into the record.

http://www.overtheriverinfo.com/index.p ... -advances/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

also this:
.... Christo will provide a security presence throughout the installation and removal periods. Full-time professional security will be stationed throughout the project site 24 hours a day during exhibition, including an additional 100 to 150 monitoring personnel that will be onsite from dawn to dusk during the two-week exhibition.
http://www.overtheriverinfo.com/index.p ... and-facts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
metalmountain
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

mountaingoat-G wrote:from their website:

April 2nd, 2014 — OTR Project Team Update

The only legal challenge to Over The River yet to be ruled on is in federal court. That process advanced one step further with the recent denial of the opposition group’s motion to supplement the already extensive Bureau of Land Management (BLM) analysis of bighorn sheep in the Arkansas River Valley.

Christo is pleased the court validated the BLM findings by dismissing this attempt to end-run around the federal process and add opinions – not facts – into the record.

http://www.overtheriverinfo.com/index.p ... -advances/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

also this:
.... Christo will provide a security presence throughout the installation and removal periods. Full-time professional security will be stationed throughout the project site 24 hours a day during exhibition, including an additional 100 to 150 monitoring personnel that will be onsite from dawn to dusk during the two-week exhibition.
http://www.overtheriverinfo.com/index.p ... and-facts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As of June it was still tied up in court. I am sure Cristo doesn't want to advertise that there is an actual organized group fighting this.

http://www.roarcolorado.org/
talamo71
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by talamo71 »

I see no need for yet another national monument by yet another egotistical president wanting to establish a legacy. If Colorado wants another park,
the state's residents should pay for it entirely.
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

talamo71 wrote:I see no need for yet another national monument by yet another egotistical president wanting to establish a legacy. If Colorado wants another park,
Actually this is probably all Federal land already. If a National Monument is declared, then the land
would be managed by the Park Service instead of whatever agency is managing it now. National Monument and National Park designations usually help
increase tourism.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
planet54
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by planet54 »

talamo71 wrote:I see no need for yet another national monument by yet another egotistical president wanting to establish a legacy. If Colorado wants another park,
Dick Cheney is proud of you.
thC1TKHACB.jpg
thC1TKHACB.jpg (10.45 KiB) Viewed 485 times
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H D Thoreau