Sanitarado

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CODave
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 61 1
Trip Reports (31)

Sanitarado

Post by CODave »

I'm thinking about doing this soon and I had a couple questions... it seems the best way to go from South Boulder & Eldorado is the Old Mesa Trail to connect with the Shadow Canyon trail that puts you out somewhere near Eldorado Springs. Does anyone have any more info about that part of the route and how to find it/map it?

Also, can you give me any advice on how to connect Sanitas & Flagstaff?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Sanitarado

Post by justiner »

Double check with access to Eldorado - the last time I was there, the trail was closed, and then as well, the area may be closed due to raptors, but that's all fuzzy in Eldo. If anything, you'll want to apply for a one-day permit. I just kept a PDF of it on my iPhone when I went up there.

If you take the Mesa Trail all the way to the southern terminus, you can just run the road W into Eldo, it's a little annoying - look for faint trails at the side of the road.

Flagstaff has a trail that goes N from the top, believe you follow the signs for Panorama Point. That'll drop you off near Sanitas - just run N a bit on the bike path, under Canyon, to Red Rocks, and over it to Sanitas. Here's one variation, without Eldo:

http://www.strava.com/activities/112069647" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edit: s/Inspiration/Panorama/
Last edited by justiner on Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

It's not easy for me to describe where it is but there is a post and some wooden steps marking it. It's only a few minutes from the bottom of the Shadow Canyon trail. I just tried to pinpoint it on Google Maps and the approximate coordinates are:

39°56'35.5"N 105°17'01.5"W

I'm not entirely sure where it comes out in Eldo since I've never followed it the whole way. Don't know if that will help or not.
CODave
Trip Reports (31)

Post by CODave »

Thanks, I was able to confirm Eldorado is closed: http://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/parks/EldoradoCanyon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll take a look at your route, appreciate your feedback.
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

Here is more info on the Sanitarado including gps tracks showing the exact route (before the Green-Bear reroute):
http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/t ... do-boulder" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Rattlesnake Gulch trail is officially closed due to a wash-out from the Sept flood. Actually it's quite minor & I'm surprised it's still closed. If you study maps you can find other ways up Eldo Mtn, some of which may cross private land (owned by the company that operates the towers on top). For example, it's possible to go up from the Mickey Mouse climbing access trail.

Edit: if you do go up Rattlesnake you'll need to pay $3 to enter the state park on foot.
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

justiner wrote:Flagstaff has a trail that goes N from the top, believe you follow the signs for Inspiration Point. That'll drop you off near Sanitas - just run N a bit on the bike path, under Canyon, to Red Rocks, and over it to Sanitas. Here's one variation, without Eldo:

http://www.strava.com/activities/112069647" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Where does the trail come out on Canyon? I've never been able to find it from that side...is it on private property?
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

PaliKona wrote:
justiner wrote:Flagstaff has a trail that goes N from the top, believe you follow the signs for Inspiration Point. That'll drop you off near Sanitas - just run N a bit on the bike path, under Canyon, to Red Rocks, and over it to Sanitas. Here's one variation, without Eldo:

Where does the trail come out on Canyon? I've never been able to find it from that side...is it on private property?
From the Flagstaff summit, go down the Flagstaff trail, just a bit east down the road from the Flagstaff House Restaurant to Panorama point. From there there is a wide trail that goes north (called the homestead trail? halfway trail?) down the rest of Flagstaff. It spits you out at the residential area just south of Eben G Fine Park. No private property.
pbakwin
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

It's called the View Point Trail. See osmp.org
cordisimo
14ers: 31  4 
13ers: 46 2
Trip Reports (4)

Post by cordisimo »

http://www.strava.com/activities/144908387 I saw that Buzz Burrell did this a few weeks ago so this should be a pretty up to date route, though it does look like he still went for the old Mesa trail. I was near Old Mesa last week and I didn't see any signs for the trail, I don't think its necessarily closed its just not an official trail anymore so nature is slowly reclaiming it.
pbakwin
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

Old Mesa is actually an official OSMP trail as per the West Trail Study Area Plan. It may not be on OSMP's maps because they don't like it (it crosses private property).
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

PaliKona wrote:

It comes out of a dirt road - it's a public road (from the map, seems to be called "Viewpoint Trail"), but it is used for access on some houses up there, weirdly. That'll drop you into Eben G. Fine Park. from there, just go a little to the left, near Canyon and you'll find an underpass to avoid having to cross the street there - super busy. This is the area:

https://www.google.com/maps/search/EB+F ... 954133,17z" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's not a bad place to start this, either, as you can bang out Sanitas, and go from there. Sanitas gets super busy, so it's nice to hit it early, when the crowds aren't there, and then go about yer business on the larger hills, that don't get as much traffic, even on a weekend (proportionally).
CODave
Trip Reports (31)

Post by CODave »

Jon Frohlich wrote:It's not easy for me to describe where it is but there is a post and some wooden steps marking it. It's only a few minutes from the bottom of the Shadow Canyon trail. I just tried to pinpoint it on Google Maps and the approximate coordinates are:

39°56'35.5"N 105°17'01.5"W

I'm not entirely sure where it comes out in Eldo since I've never followed it the whole way. Don't know if that will help or not.
Thanks for the coordinates, this helps a lot; I know exactly where this is now.