winter peak advice

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

winter peak advice

Post by davebks »

Hi all,
I am getting the bug to get out and climb again. My neighbor did his first 14er last summer and wants to try a winter peak. He doesnt have the experience I have but thats fine.
I am looking for some ideas of peaks in winter, with crampons/axes, that might be a nice snow ridge with a summit block (no ropes). Even though I do, he doesnt want to go too sketchy.

Thoughts on ideas? 14ers are fine but I am open. I just want to get into my crampons again!
I live in louisville so perhaps RMNP or indian peaks, but were open to driving into the mountains. Nothing more than a few hours away though would be great.

Thanks!!
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Re: winter peak advice

Post by jmanner »

First off: you've only one week of winter left.

There is a great conditions report of some guys that did Democrat's north ridge this weekend. I've never done it, but it looks stellar! You could do the Keyhole on Long's that would be fun right now. Missouri might be fun in a month, or Quandary's West Ridge looks like a lot of fun: There's a good trip report on that, if you going looking for it.

I hope my little bit helps.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Re: winter peak advice

Post by davebks »

ah yes... we are both in pretty good shape but its early season. maybe a shorter approach but more peak time.
we can handle 10 mile days but am open to whatever.

ill check out the report for Democrat's north ridge but that might be more than hell want to do.
thanks for the suggestions.