Front range trail conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Front range trail conditions

Post by rijaca »

Green Mountain still had some snow this morning, so I imagine there's still some muddy spots. "Table Top" is not a good clue, as most call it North or South Table Mountain.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

rijaca wrote:Green Mountain still had some snow this morning, so I imagine there's still some muddy spots. "Table Top" is not a good clue, as most call it North or South Table Mountain.
Neither is "Green Mountain", because there's one in Boulder and another in Lakewood.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

AlexeyD wrote:Has anyone been on Green Mountain or Table Top since this weekend? wondering how much snow/mud is in the area.
Was on South Table last night and it was great conditions -- a few small mud puddles in the usual place, but either avoidable or just a few steps worth.
Was on the North Table service road today and it was great -- not sure about singletrack but saw a decent amount of traffic, including bikes.
Not sure about Green-Lakewood, but I have a good view of the north face (and it's intimidating couloirs!) of it each day. The recent snow was seemingly kind of weird and there was noticeably more snow on Green-Lakewood not just due because of the north-facing aspect, but also because of very local weather patterns in terms of just a few hundred feet elevation and exact locations making a difference. I've avoided it because I usually come from the north and expected some slick mud, but other trails on it might be fine.

I just know that N and S Table looked like better trail conditions and went with that.
YonderMountain
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by YonderMountain »

Green - Lakewood is almost completely dry. There is water running down the trail of the Hayden trail but otherwise dry.
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Any idea if the hike to Ouzel Falls is relatively snow free?
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

PaliKona wrote:Any idea if the hike to Ouzel Falls is relatively snow free?
Well, the Snowtel site in Wild Basin around 9500' is currently showing 43"...given that's around the elevation of Ouzel Falls, probably not :)
PaliKona
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Can anyone comment on trail conditions around Boulder today? I was looking to do Green Mtn tomorrow; is it crazy muddy up there?
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

PaliKona wrote:Can anyone comment on trail conditions around Boulder today? I was looking to do Green Mtn tomorrow; is it crazy muddy up there?
No first-hand evidence, but for what it's worth: as of this morning, new snow was visible starting around 7000' on Bear and Green. And Bear Creek was still running pretty high. That, on top of all the rain last week, and my guess would be, yes.
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

PaliKona wrote:Can anyone comment on trail conditions around Boulder today? I was looking to do Green Mtn tomorrow; is it crazy muddy up there?
I ran Green yesterday via Amphi/Saddle Rock/Greenman on the ascent and Ranger/Flagstaff for the descent. It was slushy/snowy, but is melting fast. No matter how wet it gets, there is very little mud on Green Mountain, just a few very short sections that are really of no consequence and in general, you'll only find problematic mud on the Mesa Trail and below/East. The main issue right now is that the creeks are overflowing, which has caused OSMP to close Gregory Canyon since the bridges have not been repaired since the 2013 floods. Bear Canyon would also be a tough go right now because of flooding. If you stuck to any variation of my route from yesterday, you should be good.

Some photos from yesterday here: https://picasaweb.google.com/1107040281 ... _DM1r-Z9gE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaliKona
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Thanks for the pics.

Any improvement on the trails today?
LarryM
14ers: 27 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (3)

Post by LarryM »

Probably too late for today, but Flagstaff trail was muddy (especially near the bottom) but doable this evening.
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

Ran Green this afternoon, finishing up just before 5pm. The snow on Amphi/Saddle Rock/Greenman has mostly melted, just a few short, inconsequential stretches on the upper 1/3 that will be gone tomorrow. The trail is wet in spots, drying well overall and never muddy. A bit of runoff on lower Amphi, but no problem to splash through, or skip around on the sides. Gregory creek is still flowing high and Gregory Canyon Trail is still closed.