Cell coverage in RMNP/IPW?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
newbie08
14ers: 51 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Cell coverage in RMNP/IPW?

Post by newbie08 »

Anyone know what the cell coverage is in RMNP? In general, is there decent coverage on the high ridges and peaks? Spotty down in the park? Specifically interested in the area around and on Audubon and Paiute.
Last edited by newbie08 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimR
14ers: 56 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Cell coverage in RMNP?

Post by JimR »

Sounds like you're more interested in IPW than in RMNP. But sorry, I don't know the answer for either.
I have more age than experience, more experience than knowledge, and more knowledge than wisdom.
Yet somehow I usually make it back to the car safely; and oftentimes, so do the people that I'm with.
SuperiorTrailHiker
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Cell coverage in RMNP?

Post by SuperiorTrailHiker »

I have a Samsung Galaxy SIII and Verizon as a carrier, had no problems at all with cell coverage in RMNP this past first week of August, either from high points (texted my son a photo from the top of Chiquita) or down lower.
newbie08
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Cell coverage in RMNP/IPW?

Post by newbie08 »

JimR wrote:Sounds like you're more interested in IPW than in RMNP. But sorry, I don't know the answer for either.
Sorry, wasn't familiar with the actual boundaries, interested in both IPW and RMNP. :)
Sugar Madison
14ers: 30 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sugar Madison »

I get nothing in the IPW on T-Mobile, including Audubon / Paiute, etc.
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

I've had service on both A & P with Verizon.
jomagam
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

USAKeller wrote:I've had service on both A & P with Verizon.
No coverage in the winter parking lot with Verizon IIRC.
newbie08
Trip Reports (0)

Post by newbie08 »

Sounds spotty no matter the carrier.

Thank you
Steve Knapp
14ers: 57 
13ers: 395
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Steve Knapp »

Took my Galaxy S4 into the west side last Saturday (Nakai, Sprague, Snowdrift, etc). Verizon coverage was good, I could text from all summits and even pull down 3G data from some of them. I was probably picking up cell towers near Grand Lake which was line of sight in some spots. Didn't attempt any calls. The best coverage will always be from summits, down lower you'll have signals blocked by all the peaks. Not sure about IPW, haven't tried there in awhile.
wheresgibbs
14ers: 12 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wheresgibbs »

I was in IPW the other weekend, on the hike from Moffatt Tunnel to Roger's and Heart Lakes there is no service, I believe I had some amount of coverage by Heart Lake (did not pay much attention) but there IS service on Roger's Pass...and I assume that would continue to some extent while you're on the CDT in that area. With Verizon.
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

I was in the IPW last weekend (Jasper/Devil's Thumb area), but I have Sprint, so I didn't even bother looking for coverage. \:D/ :(
Steve Nicholls
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 168
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Steve Nicholls »

Did a loop over Buchanan and Pawnee Passes last weekend. Basically no coverage. Had an occasional bar but no calls would go through. I have Verizon.