Suggested Hiking this weekend in Summit County

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kmuce2
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Suggested Hiking this weekend in Summit County

Post by kmuce2 »

My family and I are travelling to Summit County (Silverthorne) this weekend and we were hoping to hit Quandry, but it looks like there is still a considerable amount of snow. We are hiking with a 13mo old and are looking for other suggestions on where to get out and enjoy a nice hike in the area.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Kevin
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Suggested Hiking this weekend in Summit County

Post by davebobk47 »

Some mostly snow free trails would include Rainbow Lakes Trail, Angler Mtn, and Tenderfoot Trail (to the overlook, not summit). I'll be heading up Mt Royal this evening and will let you know what the snow looks like.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

I started this thread for a reason :)

Will try to get tomorrow and Friday for updates.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
kmuce2
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kmuce2 »

Thanks Guys! I'll keep an eye on the other thread...sorry for the extra thread! Rookie Mistake! ](*,)
Tortoise1
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tortoise1 »

McCullough Gulch and Mohawk Lakes south of Breck are both nice hikes, some elevation gain but not all that high. Willow Creek Falls is a nice hike, from the Buffalo Mountain trailhead at the top of Wildernest.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

South side of Loveland Pass is wind-swept most weeks of the year.
You get above-treeline views immediately. You start at 12K with two 13K low-snow options left or right.
Take Hwy 6 from Keystone.
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

Mt Royal is snow free until about 100 yards below of the Royal/Victoria split. Snow from there was hard packed and manageable. Looked like the trail up to Victoria had significant snow.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev