Hikes in the Sand Dunes?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dan England
14ers: 58 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Hikes in the Sand Dunes?

Post by Dan England »

We are headed to the Sand Dunes next week, and I was wondering if y'all had any recommendations for a hike? I would like a short, 3-5 mile family hike and a long trail run I could do of 8-10 miles. I know I'm probably dreaming here given that the dunes really are just a pile of sand, but even around the area of a 10-15 minute drive away would be great.
Any ideas? I am a 14er finisher so technical trails are OK, though clear of snow by this point would be ideal.
overunder
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Hikes in the Sand Dunes?

Post by overunder »

The trail that starts at the campground and runs up the east side of the park is nice. It can be used for both the short and long hike. After about 5 miles it crosses a road and continues to curve toward the west. Good views of the dunes and surrounding hills all along. Been a while so the trail name slips my memory but its one of the only established trails in the park.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I think that trail is called the Sand Ramp Trail. You can start at the campground, or drive up the road to Point of No Return (end of the 2WD portion) and hike north from there. That would be my choice for the longer hike; keep in mind that it's hard to walk in sand so your distance covered will be less than a normal trail. For the family hike you must go to the High Dune (playing in the creek is a blast), or if you want another hike in addition to the dune field maybe Mosca Pass.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Post by wineguy »

I hiked the trail from Zapata Falls, which is a few miles south of the dunes, towards South Zapata Lake about a month ago. The trail was scenic and well-maintained. though had snow above 10,000 ft. I'm guessing the snow-line is much higher by now.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
Dan England
14ers: 58 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dan England »

Thanks for the help folks!