Bear Lake RMNP Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mts4602
14ers: 13 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Bear Lake RMNP Conditions

Post by mts4602 »

Anybody been in this area recently? Looking to go Sunday or Monday. Should I take snowshoes?
Last edited by mts4602 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
DanR
14ers: 33 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Bear Lake RMNP Conditions

Post by DanR »

I haven't, but it's mentioned without a huge amount of detail in this thread
mts4602
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mts4602 »

bump!
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

mts4602 wrote:Anybody been in this area recently? Looking to go Sunday or Monday. Should I take snowshoes?
Probably depends on where you're going. Everyone else at Bear Lake wears snowshoes whether they're necessary or not. This results in nicely packed trails that are perfectly bootable.

If you plan to venture too far off the normal trails then, yes, snow shoes will probably be needed.

I've found the rangers at the park to be a wealth of information when needed. Especially the back country office.
Make wilderness less accessible.
mts4602
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mts4602 »

Dave B wrote:
mts4602 wrote:Anybody been in this area recently? Looking to go Sunday or Monday. Should I take snowshoes?
Probably depends on where you're going. Everyone else at Bear Lake wears snowshoes whether they're necessary or not. This results in nicely packed trails that are perfectly bootable.

If you plan to venture too far off the normal trails then, yes, snow shoes will probably be needed.

I've found the rangers at the park to be a wealth of information when needed. Especially the back country office.
Nah I'll be on the normal trails. Either Flattop or Andrews Glacier I think. I don't mind carrying them even if they are not needed, but my gf doesn't have any so we were going to rent some for her if needed. Maybe I'll give the rangers a call.
IronLionZion
14ers: 26 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by IronLionZion »

I went up flattop mountain on skis 2 weeks ago and my buddy had snowshoes and skis on his back. I would definitely recommend snowshoes if you are venturing further than about a mile or 2 from the trailhead.
Hold up my goings in thy paths, that my footsteps slip not. Psalm 17:5