Backpacking for Kids

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
lukedog
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Backpacking for Kids

Post by lukedog »

Apologies if this is the wrong section or if the topic already exists.

I'm planning to take my daughters (7 and 6 years) backpacking sometime in the next 4-6 weeks. My oldest and I went up St. Vrain Glacier trail a year or so ago and it was really nice. I think it may have been about 4 miles to where we camped. It wasn't terribly vertical or technical but was high up, scenic, uncrowded, and close to Boulder. I'd love something like this, but perhaps with a little less effort/distance to get there. They're each able to do Sanitas with me but I'd rather have the distance and effort be a bit less (maybe a couple of miles) so we can enjoy our time at camp more. We'll probably only stay one night.

I really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Re: Backpacking for Kids

Post by Floyd »

There have been a few threads on this recently, but I'm not going to nit-pick since I am all for getting the kids out.

Check out Goose Creek in the Lost Creek Wilderness. Here is my TR from when our oldest was 2. We went back earlier this summer (she's now 5) and recreated this guy's trip. Spent 2 nights back there. Amazing place to explore and the girls had a lot of fun.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason